Reflection Year on World Heritage Periodic Reporting
The World Heritage Committee has decided to postpone, for one year, the beginning of the next cycle of Periodic Reporting: 2007 will be the Reflection Year.
It has become evident that there is a need to: study and reflect on the first cycle of Periodic Reporting; develop directive strategies with regard to the format of the aforesaid reports; and develop training priorities as regards international cooperation and rationalization.
This workshop is the follow-up to the first meeting, held in Berlin (Germany) in November 2005, and will focus on:
- Reviewing the structure of the questionnaires used during the first Periodic Reporting exercise, from a State Party perspective;
- Reviewing a comparative analysis of the European questionnaire;
- Evaluating new proposals for the revised questionnaire: Assessment of mitigation actions for the conservation of World Heritage properties and management effectiveness;
- Exploring the inclusion of statistical and monitoring indicators for the conservation of World Heritage properties;
- Proposing several guiding principles to be adopted by the Committee for the elaboration of the revised questionnaire;
- Proposing themes of reflection and corresponding activities for the coming Periodic Reporting Reflection Year.
Among the thirty participants attending will be World Heritage Committee members and staff, experts from various States Parties (France, Mali, Mexico and Tunisia), representatives from English Heritage, WTO, ICOMOS, ICCROM, IUCN, the UNESCO Institute of Statistics and UNESCO Field Offices.
(Room XIV, 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.)