The Secretariat of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the World Heritage Centre do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information or documentation provided by the States Parties to the World Heritage Convention to the Secretariat of UNESCO or to the World Heritage Centre.
The publication of any such advice, opinion, statement or other information documentation on the World Heritage Centre’s website and/or on working documents also does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of UNESCO or of the World Heritage Centre concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.
Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party
The Fortress of "S. Pedro da Barra", situated on the ancient "Morro de Kassandama", actually "Ngola Kiluange" quarter, in Luanda.
In 1663, the King of Portugal sent to raise a strong defence of the "Barra de Luanda". It means that although the Portress of "S. Pedro da Barra" has been founded in 1703, another more ancient fortress was built in same place to offer more solidity to the portuguese occupation and this went a long way to give a bigger protection to its economic benefits in the region.
For years, and when the incursions of the other colonial potencies were stopped, the Fortress of "S. Pedro da Barra" was used as a lodging of slaves in transit, arising from the Factories (Feitorias) of the "Sertao", and who were sent to the lands of "New World" (America).
It was classified as National Monument by Provincial Decret n. 1057, 10 of November of 1932.
It is badly preserved, on account of its successive functions (military and defensive). It is also a state property, and- the responsibility for its maintenance and preservation concerns the Ministry of Defence and the Ministry of Culture.