African World Heritage Fund
The African World Heritage Fund (AWHF) strives towards the effective conservation and protection of Africa’s natural and cultural heritage. AWHF is for African Union (AU) member states that signed the 1972 UNESCO World Heritage Convention in support of these goals. The AWHF is the first regional funding initiative within the framework of the UNESCO World Heritage Convention.
The AWHF was launched in May 2006 under South African Trust Law in order to provide finance and technical support for the effective conservation and protection of Africa’s natural and cultural heritage of outstanding universal value. The fund was established as a result of work undertaken by African member states of UNESCO with the objective of developing an ongoing strategy to deal with the challenges that most African countries have in implementing the World Heritage Convention.
AWHF pursues the identification and preparation of African sites towards inscription on the World Heritage List; the conservation and management of sites already inscribed on the World Heritage List; the rehabilitation of sites inscribed on the List of World Heritage in Danger and the training of heritage experts and site managers. Through effective and sustainable management, Africa’s world heritage sites will be catalysts in transforming Africa’s image and act as a vehicle to stimulate economic growth and infrastructure development.
- May 5th: African World Heritage Day Wednesday, November 18, 2015
- UNESCO celebrates 10 years of achievements of the African World Heritage Fund Friday, November 13, 2015
- Ngorongoro Conservation Area sets path for sustainable tourism Tuesday, March 24, 2015
- Call for expression of interest for the evaluation of the African World Heritage Fund Wednesday, February 18, 2015
- World Heritage stakeholders come together to develop a sustainable tourism strategy for Mosi-oa-Tunya/Victoria Falls Monday, February 2, 2015
- Launch of activities for the 10th Anniversary of the African World Heritage Fund Nov 12, 2015-Nov 12, 2015
- Workshop on risk preparedness for Lusophone World Heritage sites in Africa Jun 30, 2014-Jul 11, 2014
- Entrepreneurship training at African World Heritage sites (in English) May 19, 2014-May 30, 2014
- Call for applications (deadline 28 Feb) : Entrepreneurship training workshop,12-22 May 2014, Senegal Feb 10, 2014-Feb 28, 2014
- Call for applications (deadline 28 Feb) : Entrepreneurship training workshop,19-30 May 2014, Ghana Feb 10, 2014-Feb 28, 2014