Following the 24th session of the World Heritage Committee in December 2000, a project was financed by Flemish authorities to support the development of World Heritage management capacity in the Arab States.
The objectives of the project are:
- To make available updated information relative to the Convention to World Heritage site managers in the Arab region and the general public; and
- To assist in capacity building on World Heritage information management within the Arab States, including data collection, production of maps and monitoring systems, in order to improve the management and conservation of World Heritage sites in the region.
The project will consist of four main activities:
- The creation and development of a website in Arabic on World Heritage in the Arab Region, in cooperation with a regional partner;
- The development, through pilot workshops in the field, of four training modules for the reinforcement of capacity in World Heritage information management;
- The development of a human and scientific resources network (database, list of experts, responsible institutions, bibliography, etc.)
- The organization of a regional workshop in order to present the results of these activities to regional partners, collect their comments and define follow-up action.
Partnerships / Activities
- New database : State of Conservation of World Heritage properties Saturday, November 16, 2013
- Des sites en Iran, en Malaisie, au Canada, en Slovénie, en Espagne, en Allemagne, au Portugal et en France inscrits sur la Liste du patrimoine mondial samedi 30 juin 2012
- Report on the Historic Urban Landscape Workshops and Field Activities on the Swahili coast in East Africa 2011-2012 Sunday, August 18, 2013
- In Memoriam: Professeur Herb Stovel, conservateur jeudi 15 mars 2012
- Historic Urban Landscape approach explained Friday, June 14, 2013
- Parcs Canada gagne un Prix de conservation et célèbre ses 100 ans vendredi 20 mai 2011
- Satellites and World Heritage sites, partners to understand climate change Tuesday, September 27, 2011
- La Réserve du parc national du Canada Nahanni s'agrandit mardi 9 juin 2009
- Joint efforts for the preservation of World Heritage in Mozambique Friday, February 13, 2009
- Un site fossilifère canadien, une île volcanique islandaise et un archipel du Yémen comptent parmi les sites ajoutés sur la Liste du patrimoine mondial de l’UNESCO lundi 7 juillet 2008
- New Publication on Frozen Tombs of the Altai Mountains Wednesday, May 14, 2008