English Français

Church of Nossa Senhora da Conceiçào da Muxima

Date de soumission : 22/11/1996
Catégorie : Culturel
Soumis par :
Ministerio da Cultura Instituto Nacional do Patrimonio Cultural
Coordonnées Province: Bengo (North of the Country)
Ref.: 928
Avertissement

Les Listes indicatives des États parties sont publiées par le Centre du patrimoine mondial sur son site Internet et/ou dans les documents de travail afin de garantir la transparence et un accès aux informations et de faciliter l'harmonisation des Listes indicatives au niveau régional et sur le plan thématique.

Le contenu de chaque Liste indicative relève de la responsabilité exclusive de l'État partie concerné. La publication des Listes indicatives ne saurait être interprétée comme exprimant une prise de position de la part du Comité du patrimoine mondial, du Centre du patrimoine mondial ou du Secrétariat de l'UNESCO concernant le statut juridique d'un pays, d'un territoire, d'une ville, d'une zone ou de leurs frontières.

Les noms des biens figurent dans la langue dans laquelle les États parties les ont soumis.

Description

Standing on the left border of the Kwanza River, district of Muxirna, province of Bengo, this church is contemporanian of the Fortress of C`Muxima'7. The village of Muxirna was occupied by the portugueses in 1589 and ten years later (1599), the Fortress was founded and the church was built with a prayer invoking divine blessing from "Nossa Senhora da Muxirna". Muxima was an important empire of slaves traffic, protected by the Fortress, and the church played an important role in the materialization of the traffic, because it was in this religious local, where the slaves were baptized before being deported. It is spacious and strong building with a stern tipically portuguese architecture, built on the border of the Kwanza River. This popular sanctuary was spoiled and set on fire by the netherlanders in 1641, when they enclosed Muxima. Later, it was modified. The Sanctuary with the Virgin image has been a Center of great devotion from de christians, from generations in generations.It was classified as National Monument by Provincial Decret n. 2, 12 of January of 1924. It is relatively in good order and belongs to the Catholic Church. The responsibility for its maintenance and preservation concerns the Ministry of Culture.