English Français

Fortress of Muxima

Date de soumission : 22/11/1996
Catégorie : Culturel
Soumis par :
Ministerio da Cultura Instituto Nacional do Patrimonio Cultural
Coordonnées Province: Bengo (North of the Country)
Ref.: 927
Avertissement

Les Listes indicatives des États parties sont publiées par le Centre du patrimoine mondial sur son site Internet et/ou dans les documents de travail afin de garantir la transparence et un accès aux informations et de faciliter l'harmonisation des Listes indicatives au niveau régional et sur le plan thématique.

Le contenu de chaque Liste indicative relève de la responsabilité exclusive de l'État partie concerné. La publication des Listes indicatives ne saurait être interprétée comme exprimant une prise de position de la part du Comité du patrimoine mondial, du Centre du patrimoine mondial ou du Secrétariat de l'UNESCO concernant le statut juridique d'un pays, d'un territoire, d'une ville, d'une zone ou de leurs frontières.

Les noms des biens figurent dans la langue dans laquelle les États parties les ont soumis.

Description

Founded in 1599, the Fortress of "Muxima" is placed in the district of Muxima on the left bank of the Kwanza River, Province of Bengo. It deals with the first prison of the angolan occupation period. It helped the advance of penetration to the interior of the angolan territory and assured the defence against the angolan people who offered resistance to the portuguese occupation and the other colonial potencies, of which the ships going up the Kwanza River went locking for the slaves in the interior of the country. Its building would come to support the trading relationships, the markets, the inlander ones, the ivory business and overall the slaves traffic. The Fortress of "Muxina" was used as the basis of portuguese forces and its support when they went to the interior making raids and wars of "kwata-kwata" (wars among the africans linked to the europeans who working to them, caught the other africans for the slavery). The slaves went by land in long raws to the vila of Calumbo, or were sent by sea in the Muxirna harbour and going down by ship the Kwanza River were sent to America. It was classified as National Monument by Provincial Decret n. 2, 12 of January of 1924. This Fortress is badly preserved and constitute a state property. The responsibility for its maintenance and preservation concerns the Ministry of Culture.