English Français

Fortress of S. Francisco do Penedo

Date de soumission : 22/11/1996
Catégorie : Culturel
Soumis par :
Ministerio da CulturaInstituto Nacional do Patrimonio Cultural
Coordonnées Province: Luanda (North of the Country)
Ref.: 923
Avertissement

Les Listes indicatives des États parties sont publiées par le Centre du patrimoine mondial sur son site Internet et/ou dans les documents de travail afin de garantir la transparence et un accès aux informations et de faciliter l'harmonisation des Listes indicatives au niveau régional et sur le plan thématique.

Le contenu de chaque Liste indicative relève de la responsabilité exclusive de l'État partie concerné. La publication des Listes indicatives ne saurait être interprétée comme exprimant une prise de position de la part du Comité du patrimoine mondial, du Centre du patrimoine mondial ou du Secrétariat de l'UNESCO concernant le statut juridique d'un pays, d'un territoire, d'une ville, d'une zone ou de leurs frontières.

Les noms des biens figurent dans la langue dans laquelle les États parties les ont soumis.

Description

In the XVII Century, by order of the King of Spain, Filipe the III was created a Commission to study how to fortify Luanda.

One of the expected buildings to protect the city of Luanda, was the Fortress of Penedo. So, the Fortress would come to guarantee the safety of European occupation, giving resistance to the network of the traffic of the slaves, who were sent to America, from the harbour of Luanda.

The Fortress of Penedo was, since its first building, one of the keys of the Luanda harbour protection. And secretly it cantoned the slaves and assured their sending to the lands of "New World" (America).

The new fortress was built between 1765 and 1766, and was also used as Prison of the Portuguese Political Police.

This Fortress is badly preserved due to its age and its activity as a Prison.

The responsibility for its conservation and preservation concerns the Ministry of Culture.