jump to the content

Fortress of S. Miguel

Date de soumission : 22/11/1996
Catégorie : Culturel
Soumis par :
Ministerio da CulturaInstituto Nacional do Patrimonio Cultural
Coordonnées Province: Luanda (North of the Country) The fortress of S.Miguel is established in the old mountain of S.Paulo, near the bridge of Luanda Island.
Ref.: 921
Avertissement

Le Secrétariat de l’UNESCO et le Centre du patrimoine mondial ne garantissent pas l’exactitude et la fiabilité des avis, opinions, déclarations et autres informations ou documentations fournis au Secrétariat de l’UNESCO et au Centre du patrimoine mondial par les Etats Parties à la Convention concernant la protection du patrimoine mondial, culturel et naturel.

La publication de tels avis, opinions, déclarations, informations ou documentations sur le site internet et/ou dans les documents de travail du Centre du patrimoine mondial n’implique nullement l’expression d’une quelconque opinion de la part du Secrétariat de l’UNESCO ou du Centre du patrimoine mondial concernant le statut juridique de tout pays, territoire, ville ou région, ou de leurs autorités, ou le tracé de leurs frontières.

Les noms des biens figurent dans la langue dans laquelle les Etats parties les ont soumis.

Description

The Fortress of "S. Miguel" is established in the old mountain of S. Paulo, near the bridge of Luanda Island.

It is the first defensive edification built in Angola, and Paulo Dias de Novais, the first Governor of Angola who unshiped in Luanda in 1575, sent it built. It is a huge ~ area walled in fortifications and countreforts, rubblework edification with a polygonal form.

In 1641, occupied by netherlanders, the Fortress is object of the first real attack; in 1648 the battle is finised with the surrender and expelling of the netherlander troops by the portugueses.

The Fortress of "S. Miguel", like many others, will come to justify the portuguese belicose presence in Angola, protecting the harbour and the village of Luanda which stocked marchandises and slaves captured in the factories from the interior, before embarking to the american lands ,and providing its defence against the other colonial potencies desirous of exercising their hegemony in the region.

This Fortress is preserved in its totality and it had not any desintegration.

This unportant Historical Monument is actually the Central Museum of the Army. It belongs to the Government and it is in a good order. The responsibility for its maintenance and preservation concerns the Ministries of Defence and Culture.