jump to the content

Pyu Cities: Beikthano-Myo, Halin, Tharay-Khit-taya (Sri Ksetra)

Date de soumission : 04/10/1996
Critères: (i)(ii)(iii)
Catégorie : Culturel
Soumis par :
Department of Archaeology
Coordonnées Beikthano-Myo : Long.95°24' E / Lat.19°5' N Tharay-k.-t. : Long.95°19' E / Lat. 18°49' N Halin : Long.95°51' E / Lat.22°29' N
Ref.: 820
Avertissement

Le Secrétariat de l’UNESCO et le Centre du patrimoine mondial ne garantissent pas l’exactitude et la fiabilité des avis, opinions, déclarations et autres informations ou documentations fournis au Secrétariat de l’UNESCO et au Centre du patrimoine mondial par les Etats Parties à la Convention concernant la protection du patrimoine mondial, culturel et naturel.

La publication de tels avis, opinions, déclarations, informations ou documentations sur le site internet et/ou dans les documents de travail du Centre du patrimoine mondial n’implique nullement l’expression d’une quelconque opinion de la part du Secrétariat de l’UNESCO ou du Centre du patrimoine mondial concernant le statut juridique de tout pays, territoire, ville ou région, ou de leurs autorités, ou le tracé de leurs frontières.

Les noms des biens figurent dans la langue dans laquelle les Etats parties les ont soumis.

Description

These ancient cities built along the Ayeyawady Valley belong to the Pyu, a people speaking a language closely related to Myanmar and now extinct. They were built from the 1st to the 9th centuries AD. The stone inscriptions found in some of their monuments provide the only knowledge of this language. The Pyus built large cities enclosed by ramparts. Each city is located at the centre of a cleverly designed irrigation network of channels, connected by sluices to the local rivers. The Pyu culture is characterized by um burial and specific artifacts (coins, ceramic, metalware). Archaeological evidence confirms the emergence of Buddhism in Myanmar during the Pyu period. Beikthano-Myo : Excavated in 1959-63. The quadrangular city wall, with gateways, has a side of 3km. Several brick structures have been unearthed, including the first Buddhist monuments built in Myanmar (stupas and monasteries). Numerous burial sites. Halin. Excavated in 1904, 1929-30 and 1962-67. Rectangular city wall in brick, 3 by 1,5 km, with palace site at the centre. Stone incriptions and sculptures and bases of brick structures. Tharay-khit-taya (Sri Ksetra). The largest Pyu city, enclosed by a circular city wall in brick with a diametre of 4,4 km, contains several brick monuments (stupas and temples). First excavations in 1904. At the centre the foundations of the royal palace have been excavated in 1991. Numerous stone, gold and bronze sculptures and metal artifacts. Inscriptions on stone and gold leaves in Sanskrit, Pali and Pyu. An archaeological Museum is maintained on the site.