The Valamo archipelago together with the surrounding waters of Lake Ladoga represents a cultural and ecological complex with more than 200 relicts of the past. The overwhelming majority of the architectural assemble are concentrated on Valamo island. The most considerable of them are as such: the Main Monastery with the main church of the Transfiguration
-1887-1896- ; the Outer square of the main Monastery buildings (1807-1910) with the church of the Apostoles Peter and Paul above the Holy gate and some other memorials of the main monastery. The archaeological remains are also to be regarded as memorials which reflect both the history of archipelago and that of those tribes and generations who used to live on the North west of Russia.