Les noms des biens figurent dans la langue dans laquelle les Etats parties les ont soumis.
The monument is a 17th century (1673) Military Campaign Fortress found within the limits of an area considered as a Biosphere Reserve (Indio-Maiz Reserve). It is surrounded by a town (El Castillo) of approximately 1000 inhabitants, located in a promontory of the San Juan river between the Great Lake of Nicaragua and the - Caribbean Sea.
The site was part of the line of Spanish fortifications of the Caribbean established in order to fight against the pirate attacks. It was of utmost importance for the defense of the Province of Nicaragua which faced the interest of the English Crown which saught to dominate the Sea of the South.
Conditions d’utilisation | Nom et logo | Contacts | Plan du site
© UNESCO Centre du patrimoine mondial 1992-2013 Nations Unies