Ciudad Vieja is a historic archaeological site, representing first location of the Salvadoran capital of San Salvador. San Salvador was established here in 1528, while the Conquest was still in progress. It was abandoned only 17 years later and never reoccupied. Its low ruins are presently used for traditional agricultural. A variety of features can be observed, some of which are mentioned in historical sources, as are house lots ("solares"), the plaza, a church foundation, remains of the town hall ("cabildo"), and portion of cobblestone streets. This site is one of the best preserved Conquest-period Spanish sites in the hemisphere. One kilometer from Ciudad Vieja are the ruins of La Bermuda, a later Colonial hacienda house dating from the 1600's. La Bermuda is considered an outstanding example its kind. Restoration was carried out here in the 1970's, but the site was burned circa 1980 at the beginning of the war. It still preserves walls, wooden lintels, and outlying features including ovens and indigo works.