English Français
Aidez maintenant !

Likiep Village Historic District

Date de soumission : 24/10/2005
Critères: (ii)(iv)
Catégorie : Culturel
Soumis par :
Alele Museum Clary Makroro, Director PO Box 629 Majuro 96960 Republic of the Marshall Is
Coordonnées N 9º50' - 10º00' E 169º00' - 169º20'
Ref.: 2066
Avertissement

Le Secrétariat de l’UNESCO et le Centre du patrimoine mondial ne garantissent pas l’exactitude et la fiabilité des avis, opinions, déclarations et autres informations ou documentations fournis au Secrétariat de l’UNESCO et au Centre du patrimoine mondial par les Etats Parties à la Convention concernant la protection du patrimoine mondial, culturel et naturel.

La publication de tels avis, opinions, déclarations, informations ou documentations sur le site internet et/ou dans les documents de travail du Centre du patrimoine mondial n’implique nullement l’expression d’une quelconque opinion de la part du Secrétariat de l’UNESCO ou du Centre du patrimoine mondial concernant le statut juridique de tout pays, territoire, ville ou région, ou de leurs autorités, ou le tracé de leurs frontières.

Les noms des biens figurent dans la langue dans laquelle les Etats parties les ont soumis.

Description

Likiep Village Historic District consists of approximately 15 architecturally and/ or historically significant buildings or remnants of buildings, along with several other structures, built between 1880 and 1937. The proposed property is exemplary of the history and impact of German settlement in the Pacific in the late 19th Century. German colonization began with commercial trading in Hawaii in 1845, Samoa in 1857, and in the Marshall Islands in 1859, with the main product being copra. The Marshall Islands came officially under German Administration in 1885. By the late 1890s Germany controlled about 70% of commerce in the pacific (mainly copra). In 1877 Likiep Atoll- with 65 islands, 163 square miles of lagoon and a total landmass of 4 square miles - was purchased by Anton De Brum, a Portuguese trader and partner in Adolph Capelle’s trading firm-from the traditional chief or “Iroij” Jortoka. This was the first alienation of customary land to European owners, and there are relatively few examples of this change of land tenure in the Marshall Islands, even today. German colonial administration in Micronesia and particularly in the Marshall islands was based on commercial enterprise. The architecture and landscape of the village illustrate the development of the copra trade, the influence on local architecture, socio-economic shift to a cash economy, conversion to a Christian religious life and a change from the traditional land tenure system. During the 24 years from 1877 to 1900 the atoll was transformed physically and socially through rapid expansion of coconut planting.