City of Azúa de Compostela
Delegacion Permanente de la Republica Dominicana ante la UNESCO
Le Secrétariat de l’UNESCO et le Centre du patrimoine mondial ne garantissent pas l’exactitude et la fiabilité des avis, opinions, déclarations et autres informations ou documentations fournis au Secrétariat de l’UNESCO et au Centre du patrimoine mondial par les États Parties à la Convention concernant la protection du patrimoine mondial, culturel et naturel.
La publication de tels avis, opinions, déclarations, informations ou documentations sur le site internet et/ou dans les documents de travail du Centre du patrimoine mondial n’implique nullement l’expression d’une quelconque opinion de la part du Secrétariat de l’UNESCO ou du Centre du patrimoine mondial concernant le statut juridique de tout pays, territoire, ville ou région, ou de leurs autorités, ou le tracé de leurs frontières.
Les noms des biens figurent dans la langue dans laquelle les États parties les ont soumis.
The old village of Azúa, it was founded in the year 1504 by Diego Velazquez, during the government Nicolas of Ovando. In December of 1508, by providence of the Crown of Spain, it was granted a coat of arms, the same as other villages of the Spaniard. Azúa was plundered by corsairs and pirates in the middle of the XVI century. Little less than one century later it was destroyed by an earthquake in 1751. The inhabitants reconstructed it beside the river Via. With the result that it is also known as the City of the Via". The ruins of the old city, attest the last existence of a church, a cemetery, a convent park and other buildings; which area clear indication that the village achieved a state of progress.
The economic peak of the town was due to the sugar. Here was developed the sewing and the industry through the mills and trapiches, of those that the village Compostela ended up having ten. In 1575, the village of Compostela was destroyed completely by an earthquake and transferred by the father Juan Montaño to the place that occupies today, beside the river Via, 12 kilometers to the north of the original stablishment.
In the area the ruins of the convent of the Grace, old church and the surrounding remains can be observed, like it is the case of the tramojos. This inter is reconstructs the uneven step of the history of an indigenous race. This whole history has been exposed in the Archaeological and Historical Museum of Azúa, Aristides Estrada Torres, where the visitors make made their a journey of the archaeological samples of the aboriginal establishments and localization of the same ones, where pieces, are exhibited, bones, that allows them to appreciate the taino art. And the colonial and republican history of Azúa.
Azúa makes its tourist contribution to the Southwest region, in the cultural conventional aspect. The creation of the Historical Park of Old Town with the restoration of the ruins of their churches, of the event of the Grace and of the old colonial mill that belonged to Hernando Gorjon it is one of the first factors that should be taken into account. For those ends, the State should acquire the lands bordering the church of Old Town, or the transfer of the residents will become the authentic watchmen of those important vestiges of our history. It is one of the few places where the inhabitants have conscience of the importance of a cultural park.