Historical Centre of Puerto Plata
Delegacion Permanente de la Republica Dominicana ante la UNESCO
Le Secrétariat de l’UNESCO et le Centre du patrimoine mondial ne garantissent pas l’exactitude et la fiabilité des avis, opinions, déclarations et autres informations ou documentations fournis au Secrétariat de l’UNESCO et au Centre du patrimoine mondial par les États Parties à la Convention concernant la protection du patrimoine mondial, culturel et naturel.
La publication de tels avis, opinions, déclarations, informations ou documentations sur le site internet et/ou dans les documents de travail du Centre du patrimoine mondial n’implique nullement l’expression d’une quelconque opinion de la part du Secrétariat de l’UNESCO ou du Centre du patrimoine mondial concernant le statut juridique de tout pays, territoire, ville ou région, ou de leurs autorités, ou le tracé de leurs frontières.
Les noms des biens figurent dans la langue dans laquelle les États parties les ont soumis.
In the place they are visible the following constructions: the Colonial Fort San Felipe of the XVI century, the Carmen's church 1927; Club Union Puertoplateño 1895, the house Rothschil-Pimentel 1906, the house Embroiders CastelIanos built in 1865, the ruined walls of the time of the annexation to Spain (1861 - 1865), Augusto Benz's House of 1918, Country's House of Don Ricardo (Bubul) 1905-1930; Plazoleta of the Bridge of the Guinea of the XIX century. The old city declared by law in 1973 "Historical Area", it embraces a sixty blocks of houses from the bay to the Northeast and the Ocean Atlantic to the Northeast, toward the skirts of the hill, including the promontory where the recently restored Strength is located San Felipe. Outside of this area it follows the same texture and compact scaIe in the surroundings of the Luperón Park and the 'high" portion of the main streets: Mella, 12 de Julio, Kenedy, Beller. Also, in good part of the Duarte and Antera Mota. Most of the architectural and historical structures of value are located inside that areas (The historical one and the of it environment S:E). History and Development: History: The first village that Ovando decides found because it has better port conditions than Santo Domingo. Because he considered that it was better to accede to the island from the north that from the south. He founded it in 1502. Six years later the Spanish Crown granted it the title of Villa and assigned it a coat of arms. Development: The new population aquired a progressive development soon after the Granted port facilities: reprieve of free trade with all the nations for ten years, then renovated, it was again like, in the century XVI a flourishing city. This peak was affected by the earthquake of the 1562. It also influenced that many of their inhabitants moved to other richer places in their proximity. The historical center, is part of the cultural inheritance of the city and of the Republic. It should be maintained, adapting it to the modern demands, but at the same time keeping the architectural and historical essence of the atmosphere This last is purpose of a municipal program of architectural conservbation. The historical area, embraces a sixty blocks of house from the bay to the Northwest and the Ocean Atlantic to the northwest, toward the skirts of the hill, including the promontory where the recently restored San Felipe Fort is located.