jump to the content

The Sugar Mill of Engombe [Ruta de Los Ingenios]

Date de soumission : 21/11/2001
Critères: (ii)(iv)(vi)
Catégorie : Culturel
Soumis par :
Delegacion Permanente de la Republica Dominicana ante la UNESCO
Coordonnées [18°27' N / 70°01' W] ??
Ref.: 1702
Avertissement

Le Secrétariat de l’UNESCO et le Centre du patrimoine mondial ne garantissent pas l’exactitude et la fiabilité des avis, opinions, déclarations et autres informations ou documentations fournis au Secrétariat de l’UNESCO et au Centre du patrimoine mondial par les Etats Parties à la Convention concernant la protection du patrimoine mondial, culturel et naturel.

La publication de tels avis, opinions, déclarations, informations ou documentations sur le site internet et/ou dans les documents de travail du Centre du patrimoine mondial n’implique nullement l’expression d’une quelconque opinion de la part du Secrétariat de l’UNESCO ou du Centre du patrimoine mondial concernant le statut juridique de tout pays, territoire, ville ou région, ou de leurs autorités, ou le tracé de leurs frontières.

Les noms des biens figurent dans la langue dans laquelle les Etats parties les ont soumis.

Description

The mansion shows the date of 1535 engraved in the frontal wall besides the living room. The building exhibits great stones eléments that reveal the narrow lifestyle of the new industrialists. Like the Columbus Palace the Renaissance begins to flow through the chapitels and the base of the columns, the stair is developed more slightly than the Columbus Palace. In the Caribbean was the first sign of those styles XVI century, a central nucleus surrounded by two rooms (living and dining room) and the windows with seats placed at the sides. The little balcony, remembrance of a quattrocental taste. History and Development. In 1532 Alonso de Fuenmayor archbishop of Hispaniola wrote about Engombe and described the Italian Esteban Justinian as its owner. It had 80 Indians and 100 black workers, at first it was a hydraulically tracked sugar mil but later with the trouble caused by climatic changes by drying rivers and lagoons that serve as a feeder to that sugar complex. At the end of XVI century the hereditary fact brought Juan Bautista Justinian to repair the house and make a sugar mill tracked by horses. The origins of possibly African Engombe word becomes from the "N-Gombe" that means cow, bull, doing reference to the activity developed there.