jump to the content

The Wooden Churches of the Northern Part of the Carpathian Basin

Date de soumission : 28/12/2000
Critères: (iv)
Catégorie : Culturel
Soumis par :
Hungarian Min. of Cultural HeritageSecretariat of the Hungarian Committee of the World Heritage.
Etat, province ou région :
Carpathian-Basin area
Coordonnées N47 09 41,5 E19 30 25,5
Ref.: 1501
Avertissement

Le Secrétariat de l’UNESCO et le Centre du patrimoine mondial ne garantissent pas l’exactitude et la fiabilité des avis, opinions, déclarations et autres informations ou documentations fournis au Secrétariat de l’UNESCO et au Centre du patrimoine mondial par les Etats Parties à la Convention concernant la protection du patrimoine mondial, culturel et naturel.

La publication de tels avis, opinions, déclarations, informations ou documentations sur le site internet et/ou dans les documents de travail du Centre du patrimoine mondial n’implique nullement l’expression d’une quelconque opinion de la part du Secrétariat de l’UNESCO ou du Centre du patrimoine mondial concernant le statut juridique de tout pays, territoire, ville ou région, ou de leurs autorités, ou le tracé de leurs frontières.

Les noms des biens figurent dans la langue dans laquelle les Etats parties les ont soumis.

Description

The first written data of the wooden constructions of the Carpathian-Basin provide information about the construction work started by King Szent László in Transylvania in 1094. The wooden architecture in the eastern region is especially interesting. The different peoples living there represented different cultures. The Western-European architecture meets the Eastern-European architectural culture with its orthodox influence in this area. Naturally, it is true not only about the wooden architecture but it appears in the wooden architecture in a uniquely characteristic way. The major part of the ecclesiastic buildings origins from the eighteenth century, but we can find earlier relics as well. They constitute a special unity which extends over the borders established after the first and the Second World War They belong to the wooden cultures of the area yet they feed on the inter-relationship of cultures thriving side by side.

In its original place exclusively the church of Tákos with a wooden framework and the newer church in Tiszacsécse are the reminders of bygone days in Hungary. However, a big number of specially constructed wooden bell-towers have survived and here stands the biggest tower of the area, the bell-tower of Nyírbátor which was built in 1640. Further towers of significance: Lónya, Zsurk, Uska, Tiszacsécse, Szamostatárfalva, Márokpapi, Vámosatya, Csaroda, Kölcse, Szalonna, Rásonysápberencs, etc.