Pilgrim's Rest Reduction Works Industrial Heritage Site
SA World Heritage Committee
Le Secrétariat de l’UNESCO et le Centre du patrimoine mondial ne garantissent pas l’exactitude et la fiabilité des avis, opinions, déclarations et autres informations ou documentations fournis au Secrétariat de l’UNESCO et au Centre du patrimoine mondial par les Etats Parties à la Convention concernant la protection du patrimoine mondial, culturel et naturel.
La publication de tels avis, opinions, déclarations, informations ou documentations sur le site internet et/ou dans les documents de travail du Centre du patrimoine mondial n’implique nullement l’expression d’une quelconque opinion de la part du Secrétariat de l’UNESCO ou du Centre du patrimoine mondial concernant le statut juridique de tout pays, territoire, ville ou région, ou de leurs autorités, ou le tracé de leurs frontières.
Les noms des biens figurent dans la langue dans laquelle les Etats parties les ont soumis.
The historic village of Pilgrim's Rest is situated on the eastem escarpment of the Transvaal Drakensberg on Portion 42 of Ponieskrantz 543, Registration Division KT Transvaal. Size of propety: 4393, 8278 h In 1873 rich gold deposits were discovered in the Pilgrirn's Creek, a tributary of the Blyde River, close to where the village of Pilgrim's Rest was established. The news of this rich strike triggered the first major gold rush in South Africa. Pilgrim's Rest was declared a gold field on 22 September 1873 and by the end of that year there were some 1500diggers working 4000 claims in and around Pilgrim's Rest. It is estimated that R2 million worth of gold was mined during the first seven years of alluvial mining in the Pilgrim's Rest valley. This gold field cannot be was the first of its kind in Africa. By 1875 Pilgrim's Rest had become the social and commercial centre of the diggings and gradually more permanently buildings were replacing the diggers' tents. By the 1880's alluvial gold deposits began to dwindle and diggers were steadily leaving to prospect elsewhere. In 1881 the first gold rnining company amalgamated with several other smaller companies to form the Transvaal Gold Mining Estates (TGME) which became the sole owners of Pilgrim's Rest and the farrn Ponieskrantz on which it is situated until 1972. The history of this company and Pilgrim's Rest were inseparably linked as both shared the fluctuating fortunes of the mines.