jump to the content

Centre historique de Sighişoara

Historic Centre of Sighişoara

Founded by German craftsmen and merchants known as the Saxons of Transylvania, Sighişoara is a fine example of a small, fortified medieval town which played an important strategic and commercial role on the fringes of central Europe for several centuries.

Centre historique de Sighişoara

Fondé par des artisans et des marchands allemands, appelés Saxons de Transylvanie, le centre historique de Sighisoara a gardé de manière exemplaire les caractéristiques d’une petite ville médiévale fortifiée qui a eu pendant plusieurs siècles un rôle stratégique et commercial notable aux confins de l’Europe centrale.

وسط سيغيسوارا التاريخي

تأسس هذا الوسط التاريخي على يد حرفيين وتجار ألمان يعرفون باسم ساكسون ترانسلفانيا، وقد حافظ بصورة نموذجية على خصائص مدن القرون الوسطى الصغيرة المحصنة التي اضطلعت على مر العصور بدور استراتيجي وتجاري مرموق على حدود اوروبا الوسطى.

source: UNESCO/ERI

锡吉什瓦拉历史中心

锡吉什瓦拉历史中心由德国工匠和商人所建,以特兰西瓦尼亚撒克逊闻名于世。锡吉什瓦拉历史中心保留了中世纪防卫小城的原貌,几个世纪以来,它在中部欧洲的政治、贸易方面,发挥着极其重要的作用。

source: UNESCO/ERI

Исторический центр города Сигишоара

Основанная немецкими ремесленниками и торговцами, известными как «трансильванские саксонцы», Сигишоара является прекрасным примером укрепленного средневекового города, который играл важную стратегическую и торговую роль на окраине Центральной Европы в течение нескольких столетий.

source: UNESCO/ERI

Centro histórico de Sighişoara

Fundada por los llamados sajones transilvanos –artesanos y mercaderes alemanes–, esta ciudad ha conservado admirablemente su centro histórico, característico de las pequeñas ciudades medievales fortificadas. Durante varios siglos, Sighişoara desempeñó un importante papel estratégico y comercial en los confines de la Europa Central.

source: UNESCO/ERI

シギショアラ歴史地区

source: NFUAJ

Historisch centrum van Sighişoara

De historische stad Sighişoara ligt in het hart van Transsylvanië en wordt gedomineerd door een heuvel met uitzicht op de Tirnava rivier. Sighişoara werd gesticht door Duitse ambachtslieden en handelaren, bekend als de Saksen van Transsylvanië. De stad is een goed voorbeeld van een kleine versterkte stad in het grensgebied tussen de Latijns georiënteerde cultuur van Centraal-Europa en de Byzantijns-orthodoxe cultuur van Zuidoost-Europa. Sighişoara speelde gedurende enkele eeuwen een belangrijke strategische en commerciële rol in Centraal-Europa. De middeleeuwse stad weerspiegelt de cultuur van de Transsylvanische Saksen, die na 850 jaar tot een einde kwam en alleen is blijven voortbestaan door zijn architecturale en stedelijke monumenten.

Source : unesco.nl

  • Anglais
  • Français
  • Arabe
  • Chinois
  • Russe
  • Espagnol
  • Japonais
  • Néerlandais
Centre historique de Sighisoara © Silvan Rehfeld
Justification d'inscription

Critère (iii) : Sighisoara est un témoignage remarquable de la culture des Saxons de Transylvanie, culture qui s’achève après 850 années d’existence et qui ne perdurera plus que par ses monuments architecturaux et urbains.

Critère (v) : Sighisoara est un exemple remarquable de petite ville fortifiée dans la région qui marque la frontière entre la culture latine de l’Europe centrale et la culture byzantine orthodoxe de l’Europe du sud-est. Le processus d’émigration des Saxons, apparemment impossible à endiguer, la disparition des couches sociales qui formaient et maintenaient les traditions culturelles de la région, tout cela menace également la survie de leur patrimoine architectural.

Description longue
[Uniquement en anglais]

Sighişoara, an example of a small fortified city in the border region between the Latin-oriented culture of central Europe and the Byzantine-Orthodox culture of south-eastern Europe, is outstanding testimony to the fast-disappearing culture of the Transylvanian Saxons.

The city, which lies in the heart of Transylvania, developed on a plateau, and is dominated by a hill overlooking a bend in the river Tirnava. In the 13th century, German craftsmen and merchants, known as Saxons, were ordered by the Hungarian sovereigns to colonize Transylvania and protect the border of the Carpathians against the steppe peoples. They settled on a hill, called the City Hill, which has revealed traces of occupation going back to the Palaeolithic period. Following incursions by the Tatars in 1241, the fortified settlement was reinforced with walls, guarded by towers, later extended to surround the entire plateau. The town, known in 1280 as Castrum Sex, developed commercial activities thanks to the powerful guilds of craftsmen. Each guild was responsible for the construction of a tower and its defence. The importance of the town was recognized in 1367 when it obtained the title 'Civitas' and became the second national political entity of Transylvania. Under pressure from the Turks between 1421 and 1526, the city heightened its walls.

The historic centre of Sighişoara is composed of a fortified site spread over a steeply sloping plateau and dominated by City Hill, and the Lower Town with its woody slopes lying below. These two sectors form an indissociable group corresponding to the historic boundaries of the medieval town.

Apart from 19th-century settlements, the historic centre of Sighişoara has kept its original medieval urban fabric with its detailed allotment of building plots, with some variations depending on the successive development phases of the site, as well as its network of narrow streets lined with closely aligned rows of houses. The Citadel is composed of three roads running lengthways, cut by passages at right angles. The houses, most of them the simple homes of craftsmen of two or three storeys, were built from stone or brick, covered in coloured roughcast, and topped by a high tiled roof. They have a distinctive plan, with a narrow facade along the street, an L- or U-shaped layout, dwelling tower, linked rooms, etc. The houses with compact layouts, probably the oldest ones, are characterized by a lateral vaulted entrance gallery. This entrance gallery is sometimes shared by two adjoining houses because of the small plots of land. Many of the houses still have a barrel-vaulted basement, workshops on the ground floor with a wooden ceiling or brick vault, and the living rooms on the upper floors. A few facades have a more aristocratic architectural style of Baroque inspiration.

A group of houses between Citadel Lane and Hermann Oberth Square stand out because of the way the storeys have been arranged to fit the configuration of the sloping ground. A wall, 93 m long and with interval towers, encloses the Citadel plateau. The different phases of construction from the 12th to the 16th centuries can be clearly identified. It rises to a height of 8-10 m between the Ropemakers' Tower and the Butchers' Tower, the best-preserved section. Nine towers of the original 14 still stand and can be distinguished by their shapes. The imposing Clock Tower plays a special role as the symbol of the town, for it was placed under the responsibility of the city council, which held its assemblies there until 1556. Situated in the middle of the southern fortification wall, it dominates the three squares of the historic centre and protects the stairway connecting the upper town and the lower town. It now houses a museum.

Notable among the monuments in the historic centre of Sighişoara is the Church of St Nicholas, an edifice typical of the Gothic architecture of Transylvania. Perched on the hill, it can be reached by a ramp staircase of 175 steps. It has been protected by a wooden roof since 1642. The decorative sculpture on the facade reflects Central European influences. The Church of St Mary belonging to the Dominican monastery, demolished in 1886, is a 13th-century Gothic monument of the hall type with bare facades. The Dominican monastery and the Coopers' Tower in the south-west of the Citadel, and the Locksmiths' Tower and Church of the Franciscan convent in the north, made way respectively for the huge neo-Renaissance style City Hall (1886-88) and the Roman Catholic Church (1894).

Source : UNESCO/CLT/WHC
Description historique

Situé au coeur de la Transylvanie, Sighisoara s'est développé sur un plateau, dominé par une colline, qui surplombe une boucle de la rivière Tirnava.

Au XIIIe siècle, des artisans et des marchands allemands, dits Saxons, sont appelés par les souverains hongrois pour coloniser la Transylvanie et protéger la frontière des Carpates contre les peuples des steppes. Ils s'établirent sur la colline, appelée colline de la Cité, qui a livré des témoignages d'occupation remontant au paléolithique.

À la suite des incursions tatares de 1241, l'établissement fortifié de la colline de la Cité sera renforcé de murs munis de tours qui seront étendus pour englober l'ensemble du plateau à la fin du XIVe siècle. La ville, connue en 1280 sous le nom de Castrum Sex, développe ses activités commerciales grâce aux puissantes corporations d'artisans. Chacune des corporations s'est chargée de la construction d'une tour et de sa défense. L'importance de la ville est reconnue en 1367, lorsqu'elle obtient le titre de Civitas et devient la deuxième entité politique territoriale de Transylvanie (le « scaun » de Schässburg, appellation d'origine germanique de Sighisoara).

Soumise à la pression des Turcs entre 1421 et 1526, la cité surélève ses murs. Dans le même temps, un habitat se développe autour de l'église de l'hôpital Saint- Antoine (présence attestée par des documents en 1461) située au pied du plateau. Le noyau de la Ville basse protégé par des murs percés de portes défensives, s'étendra progressivement à l'est et à l'ouest pour atteindre aujourd'hui les deux rives de la Tirnava.

Au cours du XVIIe siècle, la ville de Sighisoara subit une succession d'événements tragiques. La population est réduite de près de moitié à la suite de deux épidémies de peste. En 1676, un incendie détruit les trois quarts de la ville dont réchappent les édifices de la colline de la Cité et les bâtiments sont reconstruits sur les anciennes fondations. La Ville basse est également frappée par deux incendies (1736 et 1788), des inondations (1771) et l'ensemble de la ville par le séisme de 1838.

En 1840, les corporations de marchands perdent le monopole qui leur avait été accordé dès le XIIIe siècle et elles disparaissent. Resté quelque peu en retrait du grand courant de développement économique du XIXe siècle, Sighisoara a préservé son centre historique des transformations à grande échelle. Des interventions ponctuelles ont cependant entraîné la perte de quelques tours et d'une section des murs. En 1886, lorsque la Hongrie a transféré la constitution de « Komitat » (district) à la Transylvanie, Sighisoara/Schässburg devenant la capitale du district Tirgu Mares/Neumarkt, le monastère des dominicains a été démoli pour faire place au nouvel hôtel de ville.

Au XIXe siècle, la partie haute de Sighisoara maintient sa fonction de centre administratif et culturel. Les activités commerciales et artisanales sont transférées dans la Ville basse qui perdra ses fortifications dans une phase d'extension ultérieure.

Source : évaluation des Organisations consultatives