Dans le centre de la Slovaquie, Vlkolínec est un ensemble remarquablement préservé de 45 bâtiments caractéristiques d’un village traditionnel d’Europe centrale. C’est le groupe le plus complet de ce genre dans la région, avec ses maisons traditionnelles en bois, typiques des zones de montagne.
[Uniquement en anglais]
Vlkolinec is a remarkably intact unitary settlement of a characteristic central European type with log-built architecture, which is often found in mountainous areas. The layout of the town has remained virtually unchanged and the architectural style has been fully retained. There are 45 unaltered buildings in the ensemble, retaining many early constructional features. It is the best preserved and most comprehensive set of traditional vernacular buildings in the Slovak Republic. It has preserved its ancient appearance with remarkable fidelity: although it is now in its 19th-century guise, Vlkolinec is essentially the same as it has been for a much longer period.
There was an early Slav settlement on the site from the Burgwall (walled settlement) period (10th-12th centuries AD). The first documentary record dates from 1376, and in a document of 1469 reference is made to five named streets. In 1675 there were only four homesteads and five residences of servants of the nearby Likava manor, of which Vlkolinec always seems to have been a fief. A decree of 1630 suggests that the name derives from the important charge laid upon the villagers to maintain the wolf-pits in good order. The present settlement consists almost entirely of buildings from the 19th century.
The characteristic houses of Vlkolinec are situated on the street frontages of narrow holdings, with stables, smaller outbuildings, and barns ranged behind them. The main street, which is on a comparatively steep slope, forks in the centre of the village. Parts of the northern end of the village were destroyed by fire in the Second World War and have not been rebuilt. A canalized stream flows through the village. The houses are of the traditional central Slovak timber-built (Blockbau) type. This consists of log walls on stone footings, the walls being coated with clay and whitewashed or painted blue. Over 50% of them have three rooms; some are smaller and others double. The roofs are pitched and semi-hipped, and were originally covered with wooden shingles. They are entered from elongated yards shared with several other houses.
There are 47 traditional farmhouses of this type and a shop and schoolhouse from the end of the 19th century. The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary dates from 1875, but the belfry was built in 1770.
One especially interesting feature of the settlement is the fact that the parcels of land that surround it retain the elongated strip shape characteristic of medieval land allotment over most of feudal Europe. Outside these lie the areas of common land and forest which are also essential elements of the feudal landscape (although these have been substantially altered in later centuries through forestry and pasturage). Source : UNESCO/CLT/WHC
Les Slaves se sont installés sur le site dès la période Burgwall (habitations entourées de murs) entre le 10ème et le 12ème siècle. Les premières archives datent de 1376 ; un écrit de 1469 fait référence à des rues ayant un nom. En 1675, il existait quatre propriétés et cinq maisons pour les serviteurs du domaine voisin de Likava dont Vlkolinec semble avoir toujours été un fief. Un décret de 1630 laisse à croire que le nom de Vlkolinec vient d'une importante charge attribuée aux villageois et qui consistait à maintenir les pièges à loups en bon état (vlk = loup). Le village actuel ne comporte quasiment que des bâtiments du 19ème siècle. Source : évaluation des Organisations consultatives