jump to the content

Ville sacrée de Kandy

Sacred City of Kandy

This sacred Buddhist site, popularly known as the city of Senkadagalapura, was the last capital of the Sinhala kings whose patronage enabled the Dinahala culture to flourish for more than 2,500 years until the occupation of Sri Lanka by the British in 1815. It is also the site of the Temple of the Tooth Relic (the sacred tooth of the Buddha), which is a famous pilgrimage site.

Ville sacrée de Kandy

Ce site sacré du bouddhisme, communément appelé « ville de Senkadagalapura », a été la dernière capitale des rois de Sinhala dont le mécénat a permis à la culture de Dinahala de s'épanouir pendant plus de 2 500 ans, jusqu'à l'occupation de Sri Lanka par les Britanniques en 1815. C'est aussi le site du temple de la Dent du Bouddha, célèbre lieu de pèlerinage.

مدينة كاندي المقدسة

شكل هذا الموقع المقدس بالنسبة الى الديانة البوذية المعروف بمدينة سينكاداغالابورا العاصمة الأخيرة لملوك سينهالا التي سمحت رعاية الآداب فيها بازدهار ثقافة دينهالا لأكثر من 2500 سنة حتى بدء الاحتلال البريطاني لسريلانكا عام 1815. ويحتوي هذا االموقع ايضاً على "معبد السن" (سن بوذا) الذي يعتبر محجة شهيرة.

source: UNESCO/ERI

康提圣城

康提古城是一个闻名遐迩的佛教圣地,这里曾是孕育了长达2500多年文化的辛哈拉王朝末期时的首府,1815年时,由于英国人的入侵,辛哈拉王朝灭亡。康提古城的佛牙寺里收存着佛祖的圣牙,是著名的佛教朝圣圣地。

source: UNESCO/ERI

Священный город Канди

Это священное для буддистов место широко известно как город Сенкадагалапура. Город был последней столицей сингальских царей, под чьим покровительством здесь в течение более чем 2,5 тыс. лет, вплоть до завоевания Шри-Ланки англичанами в 1815 г., процветала оригинальная культура. Также здесь находится «Храм Зуба Будды» – священное место паломничества.

source: UNESCO/ERI

Ciudad sagrada de Kandy

Conocida comúnmente por el nombre de Senkadagalapura, esta ciudad sagrada del budismo fue la última capital de los reyes sinhalas. Gracias al mecenazgo de estos monarcas, la cultura cingalesa floreció durante más de 25 siglos, hasta la ocupación de Sri Lanka por los británicos en 1815. En Kandy está emplazado el Templo del Diente de Buda, célebre lugar de peregrinación.

source: UNESCO/ERI

聖地キャンディ

source: NFUAJ

Heilige stad van Kandy

De heilige boeddhistische stad Kandy – in de volksmond bekend als de stad Senkadagalapura – was de laatste hoofdstad van de Sinhala koningen. Dankzij de bescherming van deze koningen kon de Dinahala cultuur meer dan 2.500 jaar lang bloeien, tot de bezetting van Sri Lanka in 1815 door de Britten. In Kandy bevindt zich ook de Tempel van de Tand (de heilige tand van Boeddha), een beroemd bedevaartsoord. De eerste tempel werd gebouwd in 1603, in 1637 verwoest door de Portugezen en herbouwd in 1697. De decoraties op de balken en plafonds bestaan uit verschillende series van dansers, acrobaten en dieren.

Source : unesco.nl

  • Anglais
  • Français
  • Arabe
  • Chinois
  • Russe
  • Espagnol
  • Japonais
  • Néerlandais
© OUR PLACE The World Heritage Collection
Description longue
[Uniquement en anglais]

The monumental ensemble of Kandy, rebuilt in the reign of Keerti Sri Rajasimha, is an outstanding example of a traditional type of construction in which the Royal Palace and the Temple of the Tooth of Buddha are juxtaposed. The Temple of the Tooth, the palatial complex, and the sacred city of Kandy are directly and tangibly associated with the history of the spread of Buddhism, one of humanity's great religions. Built to house the relic of the tooth of Buddha, which had come from Kalinga (Orissa State, India) to Sri Lanka during the reign of Sri Meghavanna (310-28), when it was transferred a final time, the Temple of Kandy bears witness to an ever flourishing cult.

Kandy, founded in the 14th century, is the southern tip of Sri Lanka's 'Cultural Triangle'. The city became the capital of the kingdom in 1592, during a troubled time when many of the islanders were fleeing to the interior, away from the coastal areas the European powers were fighting over. Although taken several times, the city remained one of the bastions of Sinhalese independence until the British troops entered it on 14 February 1815. From Vimala Dharma Suriya I (1591-1604) to Sri Wickrama Rajasinghe (1798-1815), it was the last seat of royal power. It remains the religious capital of Buddhism and a sacred city for millions of believers. Enshrined in the Dalada Maligawa is the relic of the tooth of Buddha which has long been greatly venerated. The ceremonial high point each year is the splendid ritual of the great processions on the feast of Esala Perahera.

Built in a small wooded valley deep in the hills around an artificial lake created by Sri Wickrama Rajasinghe between 1803 and 1807, the city has much charm. The monumental zone includes, on the northern shores of the lake, the remains of the Royal Palace with the great Audience Hall, Temple of the Tooth, Palace of Sri Wickrama, queen's apartments and bathing house, Palle Wahala and Ran Ayuda Maduwa. Three other monumental groups (Dewala, Malwatte Vihara and Asgiriya Vihara) are the final elements of this important complex.

As a result of more recent modifications the Royal Palace and the Temple of the Tooth date from the reign of Keerti Sri Rajasimha (1747-82). A first temple was built in 1603, destroyed by the Portuguese in 1637, and rebuilt in 1697. As a reference to the great architecture of Anuradhapura, the first historic capital, the present grander edifice was built upon a granite substructure. In addition to granite a wide variety of materials were used for this extraordinarily rich building: limestone, marble, sculpted wood, terracotta, metal and ivory. The painted decorations vie with the sculpted decor, and include purely decorative motifs as well as different series of figures (dancers, acrobats, animals) on the beams and ceilings.

Source : UNESCO/CLT/WHC