jump to the content

Églises de la Paix à Jawor et Świdnica

Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica

The Churches of Peace in Jawor and Ś widnica, the largest timber-framed religious buildings in Europe, were built in the former Silesia in the mid-17th century, amid the religious strife that followed the Peace of Westphalia. Constrained by the physical and political conditions, the Churches of Peace bear testimony to the quest for religious freedom and are a rare expression of Lutheran ideology in an idiom generally associated with the Catholic Church.

Églises de la Paix à Jawor et Świdnica

Les églises de la Paix à Jawor et à Ś widnica, les plus grands bâtiments religieux à charpente de bois d'Europe, ont été construites dans l'ancienne Silésie, au milieu du XVIIe siècle, à l'époque du conflit religieux qui suivit la paix de Westphalie. Modelées par des facteurs physiques et politiques, elles témoignent de la quête de liberté religieuse et mettent en œuvre des formes architecturales généralement associées à l'église catholique mais très peu courantes s'agissant de la religion luthérienne.

كنائس السلام في جافور وسودنيكا

بُنيت كنائس السلام في جافور وسويدنيكا، وهي أكبر المباني الدينية الخشبية الأوروبية، في سيليزيا القديمة في أوساط القرن السابع عشر في حقبة الصراع الديني الذي عقب السلام في ويستفاليا. بالرغم من تعديل العوامل الطبيعيّة والسياسيّة فيها، هي تشهد على السعي إلى الحرية الدينية وتستخدم أشكالاً هندسية تعود في الإجمال إلى الكنيسة الكاثوليكية، لكنّها تبقى نادرةً وهي تعود إلى الديانة اللوثرية.

source: UNESCO/ERI

扎沃尔和思维得尼加的和平教堂

扎沃尔和思维得尼加的和平教堂是欧洲最大的木制结构宗教建筑,始建于17世纪中期的原西里西亚,当时正值威斯特伐利亚和平条约签订之后宗教运动兴起之时。由于受到物质和政治上的压制,和平教堂宣布接受人们对于宗教自由的要求,表达了路德教派的思想,这在当时以天主教为主的地区是很少见的。

source: UNESCO/ERI

Церкви Мира в Яворе и Свиднице

Церкви Мира в Яворе и Свиднице – это крупнейшие в Европе деревянные религиозные здания, которые были построены в бывшей Силезии в середине XVII в. во время религиозных споров, последовавших после заключения Вестфальского мира. Создание церквей Мира в условиях физических и политических ограничений является свидетельством поиска религиозной свободы и редким проявлением идеологии лютеранства в формах, ассоциируемых обычно с католической церковью.

source: UNESCO/ERI

Iglesias de la Paz en Jawor y Swidnica

Las iglesias de la Paz de Jawor y Swidnica son los edificios religiosos de entramado de madera más grandes de toda Europa. Fueron erigidas en la antigua Silesia a mediados del siglo XVII, en el periodo de conflictos religiosos subsiguiente a la Paz de Westfalia. Construidos en función de una serie de imperativos de índole material y política, estos dos templos luteranos constituyen un testimonio de la búsqueda de la libertad religiosa y presentan características arquitectónicas generalmente vinculadas a los edificios de culto católico, que muy raras veces se dan en las iglesias protestantes.

source: UNESCO/ERI

ヤヴォルとシフィドニツァの平和教会群

source: NFUAJ

Vredeskerken in Jawor en Świdnica

De Vredeskerken in Jawor en Świdnica zijn de grootste houten religieuze gebouwen in Europa. Beide kerken zijn ontworpen door de architect Albert von Sabisch. Ze werden halverwege de 17e eeuw gebouwd in het voormalige Silezië, te midden van de religieuze strijd die volgde op de Vrede van Westfalen. De kerken getuigen van de zoektocht naar godsdienstvrijheid en zijn een zeldzame uiting van Lutherse ideologie in een vormentaal die over het algemeen geassocieerd wordt met de Katholieke Kerk. Een blijk van uitzonderlijke tolerantie van de katholieke Habsburgse keizer richting de protestantse gemeenschappen in Silezië in de periode na de Dertigjarige Oorlog in Europa.

Source : unesco.nl

  • Anglais
  • Français
  • Arabe
  • Chinois
  • Russe
  • Espagnol
  • Japonais
  • Néerlandais
Églises de la Paix à Jawor et Swidnica © Bozena Pytel
Justification d'inscription

Critère (iii) : Les églises de la Paix sont le témoignage d’un acte de tolérance exceptionnelle de la part de l’empereur Habsbourg catholique envers les communautés protestantes de Silésie, dans la période qui suivit la guerre de Trente Ans en Europe.

Critère (iv) : Du fait des conditions imposées par l’empereur à la construction des églises de la Paix, les bâtisseurs ont du mettre en œuvre des solutions pionnières en matière de construction et d’architecture, à une échelle et un degré de complexité jusque-là inégalés dans l’architecture en bois. Leur survie à ce jour atteste de leur réussite.

Critère (vi) : Les églises de la Paix sont le témoignage exceptionnel d’un développement politique particulier dans l’Europe du XVIIe siècle, d’un grand pouvoir et d’un grand engagement spirituel.

Description longue
[Uniquement en anglais]

The Churches of Peace are outstanding testimony to an exceptional act of tolerance on the part of the Catholic Habsburg Emperor towards Protestant communities in Silesia in the period following the Thirty Years' War in Europe. As a result of conditions imposed by the emperor, the Churches of Peace required the builders to implement pioneering constructional and architectural solutions of a scale and complexity unknown in wooden architecture. The success may be judged by their survival to the present day.

The Thirty Years' War in Europe ended with the Treaty of Westphalia (1648), which upheld the principle of cuius regio eius religio , i.e. the faith professed by the ruler was obligatory for his subjects. At that time Silesia was part of the Catholic Habsburg monarchy. In most of the province Protestants were persecuted and deprived of the right and possibility to practise their faith. Through the agency of the Lutheran king of Sweden, the emperor finally allowed (1651-52) the erection of three churches, henceforth known as the Churches of Peace, in Silesian principalities under direct Habsburg rule - in Głogów, which ceased to exist in the 18th century, Jawor, and Swidnica in the south-west part of present-day Poland.

Unlike the Baroque Roman Catholic churches of Silesia, the Churches of Peace do not represent a self-confident mission-oriented religion, triumphant in its victory over heretics, but rather they embody a place of refuge for an oppressed religious minority that wanted to assert its faith, to remain conscious of its individuality, and to preserve the communal cult of its traditions and practices. Stability and durability were achieved by means of an efficient structural system and careful use of traditional techniques in handling the materials and in connecting the individual timbers with one another. The Churches of Peace are among the latest examples of an architecture that combines post-and-beam construction (building with one-piece wall-high posts) with the use of halved joints; the structural framework of regularly placed uprights and horizontal connecting rails is reinforced by means of diagonal crossed struts that are inserted in the posts and rails in a way that makes shifting of the structural framework impossible. As post-and-beam buildings, the Churches of Peace are part of a European tradition that goes back to the 12th century and continued into the 18th century. The churches in Jawor and Swidnica differ in the character of their floor plans. Both have three aisles, both terminated in a polygonal east end, but whereas in Jawor the eastern end is still a true chancel, in Swidnica it is only the formal remembrance of such: its function has become that of a sacristy.

The Lutheran Church of Peace in Jawor was designed by the architect Albert von Sabisch and constructed by the master carpenter Andreas Gamper from Jawor in 1654-55. Located outside the town, the church is surrounded by a park, the former graveyard, with the original layout of tree-lined alleys. The auxiliary buildings occupy a quarter of the site. The church is in the form of a basilica with one nave, two aisles and a presbytery. The building is timber-framed, filled with vertical wooden chips wrapped in straw and plastered with clay. It is covered with shingle roofs. The bell tower was erected in 1707 on a rectangular plan. The interior has two tiers of principal galleries and two tiers of auxiliary galleries, added in the 18th century. The polychrome decoration consists of ornaments in white and blue and 143 biblical scenes with inscriptions. The paintings, inspired by Mathias Merian, were executed by Georg Flegel. Similar decoration is also on the auxiliary galleries, and the decor is supplemented by cartouches bearing coats of arms. The high altar (1672) is a multistoreyed structure executed by the workshop of Michael Schneider of Landshut.

The Lutheran Church of Peace in Swidnica was designed by the same architect as the Church of Jawor, Albert von Sabisch, and built by master carpenters Andreas Gamper and Kaspar König in 1656-57. North of the town centre, it was incorporated into the outer ring of fortifications in the mid-18th century. The auxiliary buildings include the head pastor's residence, the vicarage and two schools. The church is in the form of a basilica with a transept and four tiers of galleries. Its plan is close to a Greek cross. The polychrome decoration of the interior, started in 1693 under the direction of Christian Sussenbach, was inspired by the Bible. The high altar was executed in 1752 by the sculptor Gottfried August Hoffman, replacing an old altarpiece, and he also built the pulpit. The main organ was built by Christoph Klose.

Source : UNESCO/CLT/WHC
Description historique

En Europe, la guerre des Trente Ans prend fin avec la signature du traité de Westphalie (1648), qui fait valoir le principe : cuius regio eius religio. La foi professée par le prince est imposée à ses sujets. À cette époque, la Silésie fait partie de la monarchie catholique des Habsbourg. Dans la majeure partie de la province, les protestants sont persécutés et privés du droit et de la possibilité de pratiquer leur religion. Cédant aux instances du roi luthérien de Suède, l'empereur autorise finalement (1651-1652) l'édification de trois églises, connues depuis sous le nom des Églises de la Paix, dans les principautés silésiennes sous souveraineté directe des Habsbourg, à Glogów (Glogau) (qui disparaîtra au XVIIIe siècle), à Jawor (Jauer), et à Swidnica (Schweidnitz), dans le sud-ouest du territoire actuel de la Pologne. Le consentement de l'empereur est cependant soumis à des conditions difficiles à remplir. Les églises doivent être exclusivement construites en matériaux périssables (bois et argile) et situées en dehors de l'enceinte de la ville. Ces restrictions, combinées à la nécessité de bâtir un espace capable d'accueillir une foule de croyants, forcent l'architecte Albrech von Säbisch (1610-1688), éminent maître d'ouvrage et constructeur de fortifications travaillant à Wroclaw, à mettre en œuvre des solutions novatrices en matière de construction et d'architecture, d'une envergure et d'une complexité encore jamais vues, ni retrouvées ensuite, dans l'architecture de bois. Des structures de bois d'une taille gigantesque et d'une fabuleuse complexité sont assemblées. Les églises de la Paix, comme on les appelle toujours aujourd'hui, devaient se fondre dans le paysage urbain de façon aussi discrète que possible ; elles devaient être le refuge d'une minorité juridiquement défavorisée, à peine tolérée, dont le rôle d'exclu dans la communauté devait se refléter de façon évidente dans l'emplacement de ces églises, en dehors des remparts protecteurs de la ville.

Le premier permis est accordé à Glogów (1651), pour un site situé à 300 m en dehors de l'enceinte de la ville. La construction ne tarde pas à commencer, et le premier service a lieu en octobre 1652, mais l'église est détruite par un violent orage pendant l'été 1654. Une nouvelle la remplace l'année suivante, mais elle est à son tour détruite, cette fois par un incendie, en 1758, et remplacée par un bâtiment en briques. Le permis pour les deux autres églises est concédé en 1652. L'église de Jawor est édifiée en 1654-1655. À Swidnica, une structure provisoire (Gotteshüttlein, la cabane de Dieu) est bâtie en 1652, et la construction actuelle peut avoir lieu en 1656-1657, grâce à une donation faite par le comte Hans Heinrich von Hochberg et au soutien du magistrat luthérien de Swidnica. Une nouvelle sacristie est érigée en 1695, et des loges privées construites par des familles nobles au début du XVIIIe siècle. Plusieurs annexes sont ajoutées à l'ensemble, dont les résidences du pasteur et des vicaires, une école latine et une école allemande. Les deux églises sont conçues comme des basiliques, avec des galeries intégrées, mais leur plan et leur disposition dans l'espace diffèrent. Dans leur décor, intégré à la structure architecturale, des formes baroques exubérantes et une imagerie complexe communiquent de façon véritablement unique les concepts de la théologie protestante. Pendant la guerre de Silésie, Swidnica est assiégée à plusieurs reprises, et les hostilités entraînent la destruction de la sacristie et des dommages structurels au mur du nord, mais l'ensemble des dégâts sont réparés en 1763.

Source : évaluation des Organisations consultatives