Décision : CONF 001B V.B.1.2
[Uniquement en anglais] Examination of requests for International Assistance - Cultural Heritage - Requests on which the Bureau took a decision - Training
The Bureau at its 18th session in December 1994 examined 11 requests for training activities related to cultural properties of which 5 were submitted by ICCROM and 6 by State Parties to the total amount exceeding US$ one million. In view of budgetary constraints under the indicative allocation for training, the Bureau decided to give priority to requests submitted by developing countries for activities benefiting site managers of World Heritage cultural properties. The emphasis would be on courses held in situ which take into account local training needs rather than "regular contributions to annual courses" organised at the headquarters of training institutes. This criteria was therefore used to evaluate all training requests.
Requests approved by the Bureau
1. Sub-Regional Conservation Workshop on Western European Medieval Wall Paintings, 1 July-10 September 1995, Sighisoara, Romania - US$28,000
2. Scientific Principles of Conservation Regional Course for Latin America, June-July 1995, Belo Horizonte, Brazil - US$30,000
3. Training of Technical Personnel, Cap Vert - US$25,000
4. Training for the Region of Latin America in Conservation of the Adobe World Heritage, October 1995, Chan Chan, Peru - US$20,000
Requests not approved by the Bureau
1. International Course on the Technology of Stone Conservation, ICCROM, 30 March-14 June 1995, Venice, Italy
Despite recognition of the importance of this course and the support given to it in previous years, the Bureau did not approve this US$51,000 request from ICCROM due to other funding priorities and in view of the fact that other funding sources were available for the organization of this regular course.
2. International Architectural Conservation Course ARC 95, ICCROM, 18 January-26 May 1995, Rome, Itlay
In view of the availability of other funding sources for this regular course, the Bureau did not approve this request for US$25,000.
3. Training Programme in the Conservation of Architecture, Painting, Wood, Stone and Antique Objects for the Preservation of the Hue World Heritage Site (1995, dates not specified), Vietnam
This request for US$40,790 was not approved in view of the approval under Technical Cooperation of US$108,000 for the purchase of conservation laboratory equipment and related training in Hue which was deemed to be of higher priority.
4. Regional Training Courses in Architectural and Urban Heritage Conservation, 05 September 1994 to 30 June 1995, Bratislava, Slovak Republic.
This request for US$19,030 was not approved at this time due to budgetary constraints and other requests of higher priority.
Assistance Internationale (8)
- Training of staff from the National Institute for Culture (INAC) in the field of inventory techniques, to initiate the preparation of a tentative list of cultural properties (1994 / Cabo Verde)
- Regional and International Course on the Conservation of Earthen World Heritage Sites (Chan Chan, Peru, October 1995). (1994 / Pérou)
- Sub-Regional Conservation Workshop on Western European Medieval Wall Paintings, 1 July-10 September 1995, Sighisoara, Romania (1994 / Roumanie)
- International course on the Technology of stone conservation, ICCROM, 30 March-14 June 1995, Venice, Italy (1994 / )
- Scientific Principles of conservation - ICCROM Regional course for Latin America, June-July 1995, Belo Horizonte, Brazil (1994 / Brésil)
- International Architectural conservation course ARC 95, ICCROM, 18 January-26 May 1995, Rome, Italy (1994 / )
- Training Proqramme in the conservation of Architecture, Painting, Wood, Stone and Antique Objects for the Preservation of the Hue World Heritage Site (1995, dates not specified), Vietnam (1994 / Viet Nam)
- Regional Training courses in Architectural and Urban Heritage conservation, 5 September 1994 to 30 June 1995, Bratislava, Slovak Republic (1994 / Slovaquie)