Mr. DeBrine joined the UNESCO World Heritage Centre in 2011 as a Programme Specialist where he is spearheading the development of a new World Heritage and Sustainable Tourism Programme. Previously he was the Director of the World Heritage Alliance at the United Nations Foundation-a global community of travelers, members of the travel industry, government groups, non-governmental organizations, and the United Nations working together to preserve and protect World Heritage sites while supporting local communities.
With extensive experience in sustainable development and tourism, Mr. DeBrine held the position of Deputy Director of the International Tourism Partnership for the Prince of Wales International Business Leaders Forum where he worked with major hotel companies to create practical sustainability strategies and tools for the tourism industry. Previously, Mr. DeBrine worked as a Forestry Officer for the UN Food and Agriculture Organization where he helped shape an international partnership for sustainable development in mountain regions. This builds on his many years as an environmental campaigner for WWF working on climate change, endangered species and sustainable tourism issues in the US and Europe. Mr. DeBrine holds an MBA from the Thunderbird School of Global Management and a bachelor's degree in Chemistry from the University of Colorado.
- UNESCO World Heritage Wadden Sea partners with the UNESCO World Heritage and Sustainable Tourism Programme at the ITB Berlin Wednesday, 2 March 2016
- Director-General meets Slovak Republic Delegation to discuss Sustainable Tourism at World Heritage Sites Friday, 5 February 2016
- Striving toward Sustainable Tourism at the World Heritage sites in Southeast Asia Wednesday, 2 December 2015
- World Heritage stakeholders come together to develop a sustainable tourism strategy for Mosi-oa-Tunya/Victoria Falls Monday, 2 February 2015
- UNWTO and UNESCO to organize first World Conference on Tourism and Culture Friday, 19 December 2014
- Living Cultural Landscapes and the Challenge of Tourism 15-Dec-2015-15-Dec-2015
- UNWTO/UNESCO World Conference on Tourism and Culture: Building a New Partnership 04-Feb-2015-06-Feb-2015
- 5th Seminar of the UNESCO Chair: Tourism and economic diversification in World Heritage sites 10-Dec-2014-10-Dec-2014
- International group workshop: Strengthening south-south collaboration on World Heritage and sustainable tourism 23-May-2014-24-May-2014
- Seminar on "Culture, Tourism and Development” 22-Oct-2013-22-Oct-2013