Robbert Casier is Assistant Programme Specialist at UNESCO’s World Heritage Marine Programme, based in Paris, France. At the World Heritage Centre he monitors state of conservation dossiers (for example the East Rennell World Heritage site, Solomon Islands), implements ecosystem-based marine spatial planning and capacity building initiatives in World Heritage marine sites. He also works for UNESCO’s Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission on the identification and documentation of marine spatial planning initiatives around the world.
He has co-authored several articles and publications, including Natural Marine World Heritage in the Arctic Ocean and The Future of the World Heritage Convention for Marine Conservation.
Prior to his work at UNESCO’s World Heritage Centre and IOC, he was the Flemish Youth Delegate for Climate Policy. Together with Youth Representatives from all over the world, he developed several lobbying-initiatives that ultimately led to the acknowledgement of “intergenerational equity” in the Paris Climate Agreement. This was the first multilateral environmental treaty to codify the principle of intergenerational equity. He also worked on threat assessments of marine protected areas, a wide array of environmental topics in Brussels, and he conducted field work in South Africa, Mozambique, Russian Federation (Lake Baikal) and the Mediterranean Sea. In 2011 he was awarded an Alfred Toepfer Natural Heritage Scholarship from the EUROPARC Federation.
He obtained his masters degree in marine geology in 2010 from the Renard Centre of Marine Geology, University of Ghent, Belgium. His main interests are scuba diving, genealogy and exploration.
- Ministries and customary owners discuss future East Rennell World Heritage site Tuesday, 26 September 2017
- Working across borders to protect Eastern Tropical Pacific gems Tuesday, 26 September 2017
- Tubbataha Reefs protected from international shipping impacts Tuesday, 25 July 2017
- Children call on world leaders to save the ocean, launch #My Ocean Pledge campaign at World Oceans Day event Thursday, 8 June 2017
- CEO of iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority receives 2017 KfW-Bernhard-Grzimek-Preis Thursday, 4 May 2017
- #MyOceanPledge 08-Jun-2017-09-Jun-2017