jump to the content

Boca De Nigua Sugar Mill (#) [Ruta de Los Ingenios]

Date of Submission: 21/11/2001
Criteria: (ii)(iv)(vi)
Category: Cultural
Submitted by:
Delegacion Permanente de la Republica Dominicana ante la UNESCO
Coordinates: 31°30' N / 87°25' W
Ref.: 1703
Export
Word File
Disclaimer

The Secretariat of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the World Heritage Centre do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information or documentation provided by the States Parties to the World Heritage Convention to the Secretariat of UNESCO or to the World Heritage Centre.

The publication of any such advice, opinion, statement or other information documentation on the World Heritage Centre’s website and/or on working documents also does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of UNESCO or of the World Heritage Centre concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.

Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party

Description

A monument qualified like a sugar mill complex and the only building with big proportions, constructed before 1870 in the Spanish side of the island. Is in good condition the highest part of the sugar mill, caldroun and the furnaces. Its architectural form follows the example of the great Cuban and Haitian sugar mills, built at the end of the century XVIII. Besides, this building has a warehouse, a guard house and a few distillery houses. History And Development Its original owner was the spanish Marquee De Aranda but he never came to Santo Domingo. The Sugar Refinery then was managed by Juan Bautista Ollarazaba a famous person with the slave's rebellion circa 1884, which brought as consequence the burning of every houses and sugar cane plantations, this riot was formed primarily by free Haitians. Later the leaders of this incident were hanged "in situ" by Don Jose Cabrera. In 1801 when the haitians were ruling the whole island the place was visited by the General Chief Toussaint Louverture who was making the first steps to take the keys of Santo Doming City. The Haitian chief accused Don Juan Baustista Ollarazaba of negligency and cowarness because he had taken all the slaves from the plantation to renegociate them in Venezuela, a land where the slavery trade was still active. Since that time, the Nigua Sugar Mill was abandoned. During the tirany these places were owned by the tirant Rafael Leonidas Trujillo Molina, under the name of Hacienda Nigua (Nigua Cattle Ranch), and then in 1978 began the first studies of restoration by the engineer Baez Lopez-Penha.