English Français

The Sugar Mill of Engombe [Ruta de Los Ingenios]

Date of Submission: 21/11/2001
Criteria: (ii)(iv)(vi)
Category: Cultural
Submitted by:
Delegacion Permanente de la Republica Dominicana ante la UNESCO
Coordinates: [18°27' N / 70°01' W] ??
Ref.: 1702
Word File Word File

The Secretariat of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the World Heritage Centre do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information or documentation provided by the States Parties to the World Heritage Convention to the Secretariat of UNESCO or to the World Heritage Centre.

The publication of any such advice, opinion, statement or other information documentation on the World Heritage Centre’s website and/or on working documents also does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of UNESCO or of the World Heritage Centre concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.

Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party


The mansion shows the date of 1535 engraved in the frontal wall besides the living room. The building exhibits great stones eléments that reveal the narrow lifestyle of the new industrialists. Like the Columbus Palace the Renaissance begins to flow through the chapitels and the base of the columns, the stair is developed more slightly than the Columbus Palace. In the Caribbean was the first sign of those styles XVI century, a central nucleus surrounded by two rooms (living and dining room) and the windows with seats placed at the sides. The little balcony, remembrance of a quattrocental taste. History and Development. In 1532 Alonso de Fuenmayor archbishop of Hispaniola wrote about Engombe and described the Italian Esteban Justinian as its owner. It had 80 Indians and 100 black workers, at first it was a hydraulically tracked sugar mil but later with the trouble caused by climatic changes by drying rivers and lagoons that serve as a feeder to that sugar complex. At the end of XVI century the hereditary fact brought Juan Bautista Justinian to repair the house and make a sugar mill tracked by horses. The origins of possibly African Engombe word becomes from the "N-Gombe" that means cow, bull, doing reference to the activity developed there.