English Français

Rostov Kremlin

Date of Submission: 22/10/1998
Criteria: (ii)(iii)(iv)(vi)
Category: Cultural
Submitted by:
Russian World Heritage Committee
Coordinates: Rostov, Yaroslavl Region, Russia. 57°11' S.L. ; 30°25' E.L.
Ref.: 1185
Export
Word File Word File
Disclaimer

The Tentative Lists of States Parties are published by the World Heritage Centre at its website and/or in working documents in order to ensure transparency, access to information and to facilitate harmonization of Tentative Lists at regional and thematic levels.

The sole responsibility for the content of each Tentative List lies with the State Party concerned. The publication of the Tentative Lists does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever of the World Heritage Committee or of the World Heritage Centre or of the Secretariat of UNESCO concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.

Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party

Description

Rostov Kremlin is placed in the center of Rostov Veliky (the Great), on the hill of the side of the Lake Nero. The Kremlin consistod of three independent areas. The central one (Bishop's Yard) is fenced by high walls with towers. Two other smaller parts are: north-Sobomaya Square; soth-territory of Gregory Seclusion.

In the second half of the 17th century in the time of Metropolitan Ioan Sysojevich these three parts were united and the integral architectural ensemble was created.

High fortress walls with 11 towers enclose metropolitan residence. Above the solemn gate from the south and west temples flanked with towers. Metropolitan Chambers, personal church, "palace for grand sovereigns' advents and others set inside the yard.

Metropolitan Residence is one of the best Old Russian ensembles reached our days. It combines masterpieces of Old Russian architecture and monumental painting.

In Rostov Bishop's Yard (Rostov Kremlin) there is Museum under the State protection "Rostov Kremlin" which is included into the State Code of especially valuable objects of cultural heritage of Russia.