|State Party||Date||Type of instrument|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||12/07/1993||S|
|Republic of Moldova||23/09/2002||R|
|Russian Federation 5||12/10/1988||R|
|the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia||30/04/1997||S|
|United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland||29/05/1984||R|
|United States of America||07/12/1973||R|
Date of deposit of ratification (R), acceptance (Ac), accession (A) or of the notification of succession (S)1
The symbol ** designates those States for whom, in accordance with Article 33, the Convention has not yet entered into force.
- This Convention entered into force on 17 December 1975. It subsequently entered into force for each State three months after the date of deposit of that State's instrument, except in cases of declarations of succession (indicated by the letter (S)), where the entry into force occurred on the date on which the State assumed responsibility for conducting its international relations.
- Effective date for the short official name: 17 May 2016; Pronunciation: "CHECK-iya"
- Through the accession of the German Democratic Republic to the Basic Law of the Federal Republic of Germany, with effect from 3 October 1990, the two German States have united to form one Sovereign State. The Contracting Parties to the Unification Treaty "have agreed that the treaties and agreements to which the Federal Republic of Germany is a contracting party ... remain in force and that their respective rights and obligations ... be applied" to the whole territory of Germany. The German Democratic Republic acceeded to this Convention on 12 December 1988.
- With an extension to Curaçao.
- The instrument of ratification was deposited by the U.S.S.R., on 12 October 1988.