Year of inscription on the World Heritage List 2004
Year(s) of inscription on the List of World Heritage in Danger N/A
Previous Committee Decisions see page http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1160/documents/
Requests approved: 0
Total amount approved: USD 0
For details, see page http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1160/assistance/
UNESCO Extra-budgetary Funds
Previous monitoring missions
Factors affecting the property identified in previous reports
b) Completion of management plan and inventory.
Illustrative material see page http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1160/
Conservation issues presented to the World Heritage Committee in 2008
Current conservation issues
In its report submitted on 31st January 2008, the State Party reported progress on legal protection, and the management plan.
a) Legal protection
The State Party reported that the Law to protect the property as a cultural landscape, the details of which were given in the report to the 30th session of the World Heritage Committee (Vilnius, 2006), were finally adopted and entered into force on 26 July 2006.
b) Management plan progress
The State Party reported that there have been difficulties in getting agreement to an overall approach for the management plan from all the four communes within the inscribed property. At the time of inscription, the development of a management plan was well advanced with the involvement of all the communes. However since that time, two of the communes, Encamp and Escaldes-Engordany, have instigated legal proceedings against the Government stating that the inscription of the property and measures to protect it as a cultural landscape have challenged their competences. This matter was considered by Constitutional Tribunal and the challenge not upheld. However progress with the management plan was halted during the time taken to resolve these issues and this has set back the overall timescale.
Analysis and Conclusions of the World Heritage Centre, ICOMOS and ICCROM
Decision Adopted: 32 COM 7B.80
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-08/32.COM/7B.Add,
2. Recalling Decision 30 COM 7B.80, adopted at its 30th session (Vilnius, 2006),
3. Notes that the Law to protect the property as a cultural landscape entered into force in July 2006;
4. Also notes delays in finalizing the management plan while awaiting the outcome of legal challenges;
5. Requests the State Party to submit to the World Heritage Centre, by 1 February 2010, a progress report on the implementation of the management plan, for examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 34th session in 2010.