Year of inscription on the World Heritage List 1987
Year(s) of inscription on the List of World Heritage in Danger N/A
Previous Committee Decisions see page http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/445/documents/
Requests approved: 0
Total amount approved: USD 42,000
For details, see page http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/445/assistance/
UNESCO Extra-budgetary Funds
Previous monitoring missions
November 2001: World Heritage Centre / ICOMOS mission
Factors affecting the property identified in previous reports
a) Urban pressure that may affect the original city plan (Plano Piloto) that warranted inscription in the World Heritage List;
b) Lack of a Master Plan.
Illustrative material see page http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/445/
Conservation issues presented to the World Heritage Committee in 2011
The State Party submitted a state of conservation report on 1 February 2011 which only partially addresses issues raised in prior decisions of the World Heritage Committee.
The State Party indicates that 2010 was an atypical year for the city, which had a severe political crisis ending with the resignation of the Federal District Governor and his succession by two other Governors within a short time frame. The political crisis has resulted in significant delays in the implementation of projects and also in a shifting of priorities that did not necessarily meet the needs of the property. A new government has taken office as of 1 January 2011 and new discussions and negotiations are foreseen to continue for the implementation of projects previously started.
The State Party did not submit the draft retrospective Statement of Outstanding Universal Value in the framework of the Periodic Reporting exercise.
a) Federal District Territorial Development Plan
Federal District Territorial Development Plan (PDOT) was approved and constitutes the main tool to drive decision-making in regard to urban development.
Brasilia’s Urban Ensemble Preservation Plan, a component of the PDOT, continues to be implemented and the assessment of the protected area is being carried out to ascertain issues affecting the different components. No indication is given as to whether this will result in a conservation plan.
b) Buffer Zone
Studies concerning the buffer zone continue, and apparently a draft ordinance is to be prepared by June 2011 to determine uses, densities and volumes, so that the visual setting of the inscribed property is protected. The report includes a map which indicates the restricted areas of construction for Brasilia’s Horizon Visibility Protection.
c) Roads W3 and VLT- Light Vehicles on rails
The State Party reports that the Project for W Street revitalization has been halted and no new specifications have been drawn up, although a presentation at the Instituto do Patrimônio Histórico e Artístico Nacional (IPHAN) is foreseen by the end of June 2011. As for the Light Vehicles on Rails Project, this has also been suspended as no specification project was submitted; further studies are expected to be requested by the new government.
d) Orla Project
This project is reported to have issues although they were not specified. The State Party reports that a meeting is foreseen with the new Secretary for Housing and Development, however no details were provided regarding the nature or objectives of this meeting. Additional information received indicates that privatization continues along the Paranoa Lake Rim, which goes against the Costa project according to which the area should be accessible to all. Additionally, construction of buildings up to three stories high continues and problems with sewage at Paranoa Lake remain unaddressed.
e) Southern local commerce area regulations
The State Party reports that the deadline for the regularization process has been extended until 30 April 2011. With the changes in office at the Federal District and the Pilot Plan administrative offices it is foreseen that new rounds of negotiation with both governments will need to occur to continue with the regularization process. However, it was also indicated by the NGOs that the adopted Complementary Law No. 766/2008 is being questioned by prosecutors and that expansions in the green areas have continued to occur.
f) Interventions at buildings
Conservation and restoration processes continue at the Metropolitan Cathedral, the facade of the Claudio Santoro National Theatre and the Pantheon of Liberty, while works at the Presidential Palace have been concluded. No technical information was submitted by the State Party.
g) Vila Planalto
The State Party reports that the Revitalization Action Plan is not been implemented, and that precise boundaries have not yet been set to identify the protection area. Although the area maintains its basic characteristics, significant changes have occurred since June 2010, with an increase in buildings by a third level, which has eroded the character of the Three Powers Square. These issues require further negotiations with the Federal District Government.
Analysis and Conclusions of the World Heritage Centre, ICOMOS and ICCROM
In conclusion, the World Heritage Centre and the Advisory Bodies note that recent developments at the property would have a negative impact on the Outstanding Universal Value of the property and hence, recommend that the World Heritage Committee express its concern. Additionally, the implementation of important actions focused on sustaining the Outstanding Universal Value of the property has been halted and these need to be continued as soon as possible. They consider that the lack of precise information and clear action lines for conservation and development, could potentially pose a threat to the Outstanding Universal Value of the property. There is also no evidence that the recommendations of the 2001 mission have been implemented; a reactive monitoring mission is therefore recommended to assess the present conditions at the property.
Decision Adopted: 35 COM 7B.121
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-11/35.COM/7B,
2. Recalling Decision 34 COM 7B.106, adopted at its 34th session (Brasilia, 2010),
3. Regrets that the State Party did not submit the retrospective Statement of Outstanding Universal Value, and requests the State Party to submit it to the World Heritage Centre;
4. Notes the information provided by the State Party and urges it to commence negotiation and the necessary evaluation processes for the definition and implementation of planning tools and regulatory measures to ensure the protection of the property;
5. Encourages the State Party to continue with the implementation of the regularization process for the southern local commerce area, with the revitalization plan for Vila Planalto and the control and enforcement of regulations along the Paranoa Lake rim to ensure the protection of the attributes that sustain the Outstanding Universal Value of the property;
6. Also requests the State Party to finalize the establishment of the buffer zone, including the corresponding regulatory measures to control and regulate further development, and submit them to the World Heritage Centre and the Advisory Bodies for review;
7. Reiterates its request, in accordance with Paragraph 172 of the Operational Guidelines, to submit detailed information and technical studies, as they become available, on planned interventions with special attention on land use, transportation systems and new urban interventions, for consideration and review by the World Heritage Centre and the Advisory Bodies, prior to approval and implementation;
8. Further requests the State Party to invite a joint World Heritage Centre/ICOMOS reactive monitoring mission to evaluate the existing management arrangements, the status of pending projects and unregulated activities and to assist in the development of appropriate lines of action related to the property's conservation and development;
9. Requests furthermore the State Party to submit to the World Heritage Centre, by 1 February 2012, an updated report on the state of conservation of the property and the implementation of the above, for examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 36th session in 2012.