Year of inscription on the World Heritage List 1995
Year(s) of inscription on the List of World Heritage in Danger N/A
Previous Committee Decisions see page http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/747/documents/
Requests approved: 0
Total amount approved: USD 35,000
For details, see page http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/747/assistance/
UNESCO Extra-budgetary Funds
Total amount provided to the property: 2008 ICOMOS Technical mission financed by the Spanish Funds-in-Trust for World Heritage.
Previous monitoring missions
April 2002 and May 2004: ICOMOS reactive monitoring missions; June 2008: ICOMOS technical mission; September 2009 World Heritage Centre mission (update of the Tentative List).
Factors affecting the property identified in previous reports
a) Inappropriate architectural and urban design for a marina and hotel-casino in a building block at the old harbour;
b) Need to strengthen management planning for the Historic Quarter.
Illustrative material see page http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/747/
Conservation issues presented to the World Heritage Committee in 2011
The State Party did not submit a state of conservation report as requested by the World Heritage Committee at its 33rd session (Seville, 2009), therefore there is no updated information to assess the progress made in the implementation of previous World Heritage Committee decisions. Previous examination of the state of conservation of the property has noted concern on unresolved issues such as increase in visitation without adequate management strategies in place, the gentrification of the historic quarter, the lack of a comprehensive management plan and conservation guidelines as well as zoning and land use regulations integrated with existing planning tools.
The State Party submitted an International assistance request in 2009 for the development of a participatory methodological approach for the formulation of the management plan, the establishment of mechanisms and structures to ensure the follow-up process, and the implementation and elaboration of proposals for the improvement of the management structure. The World Heritage Centre has received information from the State Party that this project has been implemented and that the final report is currently under elaboration and will be submitted to the World Heritage Centre.
The World Heritage Centre and the Advisory Bodies note that no updated information exists for the property to gauge the rate of implementation of past decisions made by the World Heritage Committee and whether the Outstanding Universal Value (OUV) of the property has been sustained.
Analysis and Conclusions of the World Heritage Centre, ICOMOS and ICCROM
Decision Adopted: 35COM 7B.135
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-11/35.COM/7B.Add,
2. Recalling Decision 33 COM 7B.146, adopted at its 33rd session (Seville, 2009),
3. Takes note that the State Party submitted a state of conservation report after the established deadline and, therefore, it could not be considered by the World Heritage Centre and the Advisory Bodies for the present session;
4. Urges the State Party to finalize the process for the development of a comprehensive participatory management plan for the property, including zoning and land use regulations and to submit by 1 February 2012, three printed and electronic copies to the World Heritage Centre and the Advisory Bodies for review;
5. Reiterates its invitation to the State Party to propose the extension of the property to include the "Bay and Islands of the City of Colonia del Sacramento";
6. Requests the State Party to submit to the World Heritage Centre, by 1 February 2012, an updated report on the state of conservation of the property, for examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 36th session in 2012.