State of Conservation (SOC)
Historic Centre of the City of Salzburg (2003)
UNESCO Extra-Budgetary Funds
International Assistance granted to the property
Total Amount Ap proved:0USD
Factors* affecting the property identified in previous reports
Project to construct a huge sport-stadium near the Baroque Castle of Klessheim (issue resolved)
Current conservation issues
A large construction site in the buffer zone of the World Heritage site is being planned, which may have an impact on the panorama view from the Castle of Salzburg. ICOMOS has been involved in the project discussions with the City of Salzburg. Building heights and volumes were reduced in view of the discussions concerning the "Wien-Mitte" project.
ICOMOS recommends to watch the future development and to evaluate possible negative effects on the World Heritage site. It proposes to investigate the situation during a mission to the site, preferably jointly with a representative of the World Heritage Centre.
Analysis and Conclusion
Link to the decision
The World Heritage Committee ,
1. Expressing its appreciation to the State Party and the authorities in Salzburg and ICOMOS for their collaboration concerning this project,
2. Requests the State Party and City of Salzburg to further collaborate with the World Heritage Centre and ICOMOS in the future development and review of the project;
3. Further requests the State Party to provide an up-dated report to the World Heritage Centre by 1 February 2004 in order that the World Heritage Committee can examine the state of conservation of the property at its 28th session in 2004.
 Decision adopted without discussion.
Draft Decision: 27 COM 7 (b) 58
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Thanking the authorities in Salzburg and ICOMOS for their collaboration concerning this project,
2. Requests the City of Salzburg and the Austrian authorities to further collaborate with the Centre and ICOMOS in the future development and review of the project,
3. Further requests the State Party to provide an up-dated report by 1 February 2004, for the consideration at its 28th session in 2004.
View inscribed site documents, nomination file, reports, decisions, ...
The threats indicated are listed in alphabetical order; their order does not constitute a classification according to the importance of their impact on the property.
Furthermore, they are presented irrespective of the type of threat faced by the property, i.e. with specific and proven imminent danger (“ascertained danger”) or with threats which could have deleterious effects on the property’s Outstanding Universal Value (“potential danger”).