State of Conservation (SOC)
Historic Cairo (1997)
UNESCO Extra-Budgetary Funds
International Assistance granted to the property
Total Amount Ap proved:160,000USD
|1997||Restoration of Al-Sinnari House, Historic Cairo||20,000 USD|
|1995||Second phase of the restoration of al-Sinnari House, Islamic ...||30,000 USD|
|1992||Restoration of monuments and sites of Old City of Cairo damaged ...||50,000 USD|
|1981||12-month expert services for the restoration of the Historic ...||30,000 USD|
|1979||Draw up a project for the restauration and development of the ...||30,000 USD|
Factors* affecting the property identified in previous reports
Restoration work (destruction and total reconstruction)
Current conservation issues
Al Azhar Mosque:
Further to the request of the Bureau to the authorities to ensure that the authenticity of the monument is respected in the rehabilitation works currently taking place, the Secretariat wrote again to the concerned authorities offering expert advice. While no response has been received, unofficial information indicates that the work on the monument was still progressing at a rapid pace.
Link to the decision
VII.45 Islamic Cairo (Egypt)
Anxious to preserve the authenticity of the Al Azhar Mosque in Cairo, the Committee recommended
1) that the concerned national authorities immediately halt all work in the Mosque;
2) that UNESCO seeks the co-operation of the Organization for the Islamic Conference;
3) that the World Heritage Centre in agreement with the national authorities concerned designate an expert to identify the conservation activities to be undertaken; and
4) that a meeting be organized to sensitize the persons responsible for the management of the religious monuments of the region:
- on the importance of the properties inscribed on the World Heritage List for humankind, and
- on the importance of maintaining their authenticity.
The Bureau may wish to transmit the report to the Committee for examination and recommend the following for adoption:
"The Committee urges the national responsible authorities to receive a specialist who could review the state of conservation of the monument and provide the necessary advice for the works underway."
View inscribed site documents, nomination file, reports, decisions, ...
SOC Reports2013 2012 2011 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 1998 1997 1995
Detailed List of SOC reports
The threats indicated are listed in alphabetical order; their order does not constitute a classification according to the importance of their impact on the property.
Furthermore, they are presented irrespective of the type of threat faced by the property, i.e. with specific and proven imminent danger (“ascertained danger”) or with threats which could have deleterious effects on the property’s Outstanding Universal Value (“potential danger”).