Year of inscription on the World Heritage List 1978
Year(s) of inscription on the List of World Heritage in Danger N/A
Previous Committee Decisions see page http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/26/documents/
Requests approved: 0
Total amount approved: USD 73,700
For details, see page http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/26/assistance/
UNESCO Extra-budgetary Funds
USD 132,570 in 1981, safeguarding campaign for the Island of Gorée
Previous monitoring missions
2004: Joint World Heritage Centre/ICOMOS Mission; 2006: World Heritage Centre Mission
Factors affecting the property identified in previous reports
Illustrative material see page http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/26/
Conservation issues presented to the World Heritage Committee in 2013
On 28 January 2013, in accordance with Decision 35 COM 7B.42, adopted by the World Heritage Committee at its 35th session (UNESCO, 2011), the State Party submitted a report on the state of conservation of the Island of Gorée. The State Party has confirmed the appointment of the site manager and the establishment of a Management Office. The State Party continues the implementation of the recommendations of the joint mission of the World Heritage Centre / ICOMOS / ICCROM in 2011, and indicates that the rehabilitation and development of the former port authority, and rehabilitation work for the municipal market is completed, and its functional reorganization is in progress. Moreover, a fissure in the vicinity of the mosque, caused by sea action has occurred and requires appropriate technical intervention.
Analysis and Conclusions of the World Heritage Centre, ICOMOS and ICCROM
The World Heritage Centre and the Advisory Bodies consider that a report to the Committee is not necessary at this stage, in order to provide more time to the State Party to pursue the necessary conservation and management actions. Recognizing the difficulties of the State Party to raise the necessary funds for the conservation and physical safeguarding of the property, they recall the recommendation made to the State Party to submit a request for international assistance for the implementation of the recommendations of the 2011 joint mission, as well as to finance the necessary technical studies.
Decision Adopted: 37 COM 7B.103
World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-13/37.COM/7B.Add,
2. Recalling Decisions 34 COM 8B.6, 35 COM 7B.42, 35 COM 7B.63, 35 COM 7B.67, 35 COM 7B.68, 35 COM 7B.69, 35 COM 7B.73, 35 COM 7B.88, 35 COM 7B.94, 35 COM 7B.98, 35 COM 7B.102, 35 COM 7B.106, 35 COM 7B.109, 35 COM 7B.122, 35 COM 7B.127, 35 COM 7B.128, 35 COM 7B.131 and 35 COM 7B.133 , adopted at its 34th (Brasilia, 2010) and 35th (UNESCO, 2011) sessions respectively,
3. Takes note with satisfaction of the measures taken by the States Parties concerned to address its previous requests to mitigate the threats on the Outstanding Universal Value of the following World Heritage properties :
4. Encourages the States Parties concerned to pursue their efforts to ensure the conservation of World Heritage properties;
5. Reminds the States Parties concerned to inform the World Heritage Centre in due course about any major development project which may affect the Outstanding Universal Value of a property, before any irreversible commitments are made, in line with Paragraph 172 of the Operational Guidelines .