Year of inscription on the World Heritage List 1995
Year(s) of inscription on the List of World Heritage in Danger N/A
Previous Committee Decisions see page http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/747/documents/
Requests approved: 0
Total amount approved: USD 5,000
For details, see page http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/747/assistance/
UNESCO Extra-budgetary Funds
Previous monitoring missions
Factors affecting the property identified in previous reports
Urban Pressure; Lack of management mechanism (including legislation).
Illustrative material see page http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/747/
Conservation issues presented to the World Heritage Committee in 2004
On 7 October 2003, the National Cultural Heritage Commission of Uruguay informed the Director of the World Heritage Centre that the Municipality of Colonia had decided to establish a Commission for a Management Plan of Colonia del Sacramento. This Commission would be in charge of the preparation of a management plan for the World Heritage area and would be integrated by representatives of local community organizations, the Society of Architects of Uruguay, the Honorary Executive Council for the Preservation of Colonia, the Municipality and the National Cultural Heritage Commission. To the knowledge of UNESCO, this Commission has not yet become operational.
Regarding the Hotel-Casino project, and on the basis of the recommendations of the ICOMOS expert mission to Colonia in April 2002, a joint working group of the National Cultural Heritage Commission of Uruguay and the Honorary Executive Council for the Preservation of Colonia reviewed a series of project revisions elaborated by the architect of the project. Following this process, the National Cultural Heritage Commission transmitted by letter dated 20 February 2004 several reports as well as the most recent architectural designs, dated December 2003, requesting an expert mission for their evaluation.
As these reports and architectural designs could not be evaluated before the time of preparation of the state of conservation report, review and comments by ICOMOS will be presented separately. As a follow-up to the 2002 Reactive Monitoring mission, the requested ICOMOS mission is scheduled for May 2004 to review and discuss the hotel-casino project.
Analysis and Conclusions of the World Heritage Centre, ICOMOS and ICCROM
Decision Adopted: 28 COM 15B.105
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Taking note of the information transmitted by the State Party (Decision 27 COM 7B.101),
2. Having heard as well the comments of ICOMOS on additional reports and architectural designs for the hotel-casino project, which were discussed with the relevant authorities in Uruguay,
3. Commends the State Party for following up on the ICOMOS and Committee recommendations with regard to the need for the preparation of a management plan for the area and the revision of the hotel-casino project;
4. Requests the State Party to consider the results of the ICOMOS mission and to elaborate the project for the hotel-casino project accordingly;
5. Urges the State Party to make operational the Commission for the Management Plan of Colonia del Sacramento;
6. Further requests the State Part to submit, by 1 February 2005, a report on the progress of the implementation of the above-mentioned recommendations for consideration by the Committee at its 29th session in 2005.