Year of inscription on the World Heritage List 1991
Year(s) of inscription on the List of World Heritage in Danger 1992-present
Previous Committee Decisions see page http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/573/documents/
Requests approved: 0
Total amount approved: USD 142,450
For details, see page http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/573/assistance/
UNESCO Extra-budgetary Funds
Previous monitoring missions
Factors affecting the property identified in previous reports
Agriculture Pressure; Poaching/Hunting; Lack of capacity in conservation techniques; Lack of management mechanism (including legislation); Lack of monitoring system; Lack of human or financial resources; Lack of institution coordination; Civil unrest.
Illustrative material see page http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/573/
Conservation issues presented to the World Heritage Committee in 2004
The Committee at its 27th session expressed its serious concerns regarding the lack of clarity on information on vehicles provided with financial assistance from the World Heritage Fund and requested the State Party to report on this issue and on progress made in the implementation of the rehabilitation plan. At the time of the preparation of the document, no report has been provided by the State Party.
The Committee requested that IUCN and the Centre undertake a mission to the property and submit a report by 1 February 2004. In a letter dated 12 December 2003, the Secretary of State of the Ministry of Hydraulics, Environment and Combat of Desertification invited the Centre to undertake this mission in order to assess the state of conservation of the property. At the time of the preparation of this document, the mission had not yet been undertaken but it is scheduled to take place before the 28th session of the Committee. If the mission is undertaken, the findings will be presented during the Committee session and a revised draft decision might be proposed to take into account the conclusions of the mission.
Analysis and Conclusions of the World Heritage Centre and IUCN
Decision Adopted: 28COM 15A.6
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Reiterates its concern that no report was provided by the State Party on the theft of the vehicles provided with financial assistance from the World Heritage Fund and on progress made in the implementation of the rehabilitation plan;
2. Urges the State Party to provide this report as soon as possible but no later than 1 December 2004;
3. Decides that, in the event that the State Party fails to make available such a report to the Committee, it will consider taking the necessary measures;
4. Also urges the World Heritage Centre and IUCN to undertake as soon as possible the planned monitoring mission to the property to carry out a systematic assessment as requested at the 27th session and submit its findings for consideration by the Committee at its 29th session in 2005;
5. Decides to retain Air and Ténéré Natural Reserves on the List of World Heritage in Danger.
Decision Adopted: 28COM 15C.2
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Following examination of state of conservation reports of properties on the List of World Heritage in Danger (WHC-04/28.COM/15A Rev),
2. Decides to maintain the following properties on the List of World Heritage in Danger: