Year of inscription on the World Heritage List
Kasbah of Algiers: 1992
Kasbah of Algiers: (ii)(v)
Previous Committee Decisions:
See page http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/475
See page http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/475
Year(s) of inscription on the List of World Heritage in Danger
Desired state of conservation for the removal of the property from the List of World Heritage in Danger
Corrective measures identified
Requests Approved: 0
Total Amount Approved: 92,600USD
|2002||Mise en place d'un chantier-école de spécialisation aux métiers traditionnels de bâtiment à la Casbah d'Alger.||50,000 USD|
|2000||Publication of "Croquis of the Old Algiers"||5,000 USD|
|1997||Training of 3 architects in safeguarding techniques for the Kasbah of Algiers||8,700 USD|
|1995||Training of architects for the safeguarding plan of Kasbah of Algiers||18,900 USD|
|1993||Preparation of a safeguarding plan for Kasbah of Algiers||10,000 USD|
UNESCO Extra-budgetary Funds
Previous monitoring missions
September 2001: reactive monitoring mission of the World Heritage Centre.
October 2003: February-March and November 2004: three expert missions in the framework of activities for training assistance to set up a technical school for traditional building professions in the Kasbah of Algiers.
Factors affecting the property identified in previous reports
Current conservation issues
Referring to the decion of the 28th session of the Committee (Suzhou, 2004), the State Party sent in January 2005 to the World Heritage Centre a report on progress made in the implementation of the measures for the safegmuard of the Kasbah of Algiers.
The draft executive decree for the creation and delimitation of the protected sector of the Kasbah of Algiers will soon be published in the Journal officiel by the concerned authorities. The conservation plan of the Kasbah of Algiers, elaborated by a National Bureau of Studies under the authority of the Wilaya, is currently being studied and harmonised by the Directorate of Cultural Heritage in regard to the legal text on the mechanisms for the establishment of a permanent conservation and presentation plan for the protected sectors.
In the present phase, restoration and presentation work is being carried out on listed monuments in the protected sector. The restoration project for the Citadel of Algiers, sponsored by the President of the Algerian Republic, received substantial funding that enabled the Ministry of Culture to undertake restricted international consultation. An expert committee, presided by the Director of Cultural Heritage, was appointed, in particular to elaborate the specifications for the launching of the restoration operation for the Citadel of Algiers. It has also recently undertaken an important sanitation operation in the Kasbah. Other restoration and safeguarding projects have been conducted by the Wilaya of Algiers.
Within the framework of the project for assistance under the World Heritage Fund entitled “Apprentice School specialising in traditional building techniques of the Kasbah of Algiers”, three World Heritage Centre expert missions were undertaken in Algeria (October 2003, February-March and November 2004), to launch this operation in cooperation with the Ministry of Culture and the Wilaya of Algiers. The latter has made available a building to house the future documentation and information centre foreseen in the project.
In its report, the State Party solicits the assistance of the World Heritage Centre to designate an expert to participate, together with the working group set up by the Ministry of Culture, in the examination of the conformity of the permanent conservation and presentation plan for the Kasbah of Algiers, in regard to the legislation in force.
Decision Adopted: 29COM 7B.44
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-05/29.COM/7B.Rev,
2. Recalling its Decision 28 COM 15B.43, adopted at its 28th session (Suzhou, 2004),
3. Commends the State Party of Algeria for having undertaken all of the actions for the safeguard of the Kasbah of Algiers, in particular the publication of the draft executive decree on the creation and delimitation of the protected sector and the elaboration of a conservation plan for the Kasbah of Algiers;
4. Invites the State Party to submit an international assistance request so that an expert can be made available to the Ministry of Culture to participate in the examination of the permanent conservation and presentation plan of the Kasbah of Algiers ;
5. Urges the State Party to pursue rehabilitation measures within the Kasbah of Algiers;6. Requests the State Party to submit to the World Heritage Centre by 1 February 2007, a report on the application of its Decision, for examination by the Committee at its 31st session (2007).