Year of inscription on the World Heritage List 2005
Year(s) of inscription on the List of World Heritage in Danger N/A
Previous Committee Decisions see page http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/946/documents/
Requests approved: 0
Total amount approved: USD 15,000
For details, see page http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/946/assistance/
UNESCO Extra-budgetary Funds
Total amount provided to the property: USD 190,000.
Previous monitoring missions
Factors affecting the property identified in previous reports
Illustrative material see page http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/946/
Conservation issues presented to the World Heritage Committee in 2006
The State Party informed the World Heritage Centre on 31 January 2006 of the efforts made by the state and local authorities to interrupt the works for the construction of a Hotel in the vicinity of the World Heritage property. The Centre had already been informed by the UNESCO Venice Office that the construction of a hotel was noted during the inscription ceremony of the property and that discussions have commenced with local authorities.
A further communication was received from the State Party on 16 February 2006. It requested assistance and two experts from the World Heritage Centre to participate in consultations regarding solutions to the inappropriate construction. ICOMOS has already identified two experts who would be available to go on mission to the site from 21 to 24 June 2006.
Analysis and Conclusions of the World Heritage Centre, ICOMOS and ICCROM
Decision Adopted: 30COM 7B.82
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-06/30.COM/7B,
2. Recalling Decision 29 COM 8B.49, adopted at its 29th session (Durban, 2005),
3. Stressing the role of UNESCO in providing guidance to States Parties on development projects on a regular basis,
4. Expresses its great concern about the inappropriate construction of a hotel in the vicinity of the property;
5. Welcomes the report by the expert mission of June 2006 invited by the State Party of Bosnia and Herzegovina to find appropriate solutions to protect the values and the integrity of the property;
6. Urges the national authorities to:
a) Immediately halt the current project,
b) Review the plans, and
c) Find alternative solutions in line with the Vienna Memorandum on "World Heritage and Contemporary Architecture, Managing the Historic Urban Landscape" (2005) and the Master Plan and the Management plan, adopted for the World Heritage property of the Old Bridge Area of the Old City of Mostar;
7. Requests the State Party to provide the World Heritage Centre with an updated report by 1 February 2007 on the state of conservation of the property and the construction project for examination by the Committee at its 31st session in 2007.