African World Heritage Fund
The African World Heritage Fund (AWHF) strives towards the effective conservation and protection of Africa’s natural and cultural heritage. AWHF is for African Union (AU) member states that signed the 1972 UNESCO World Heritage Convention in support of these goals. The AWHF is the first regional funding initiative within the framework of the UNESCO World Heritage Convention.
The AWHF was launched in May 2006 under South African Trust Law in order to provide finance and technical support for the effective conservation and protection of Africa’s natural and cultural heritage of outstanding universal value. The fund was established as a result of work undertaken by African member states of UNESCO with the objective of developing an ongoing strategy to deal with the challenges that most African countries have in implementing the World Heritage Convention.
AWHF pursues the identification and preparation of African sites towards inscription on the World Heritage List; the conservation and management of sites already inscribed on the World Heritage List; the rehabilitation of sites inscribed on the List of World Heritage in Danger and the training of heritage experts and site managers. Through effective and sustainable management, Africa’s world heritage sites will be catalysts in transforming Africa’s image and act as a vehicle to stimulate economic growth and infrastructure development.
Partnerships / Activities
- Over 3 million USD pledged for the African World Heritage Fund at African Union Head of State Summit Wednesday, February 12, 2014
- African Culture Ministers call for balancing heritage conservation and social and economic development Tuesday, June 18, 2013
- African ministers concerned by the region’s World Heritage sites Monday, June 17, 2013
- Launch of African World Heritage Fund Wednesday, May 3, 2006
- Workshop on risk preparedness for Lusophone World Heritage sites in Africa Jun 30, 2014 - Jul 11, 2014
- Entrepreneurship training at African World Heritage sites (in English) May 19, 2014 - May 30, 2014
- Call for applications (deadline 28 Feb) : Entrepreneurship training workshop,19-30 May 2014, Ghana Feb 10, 2014 - Feb 28, 2014
- Call for applications (deadline 28 Feb) : Entrepreneurship training workshop,12-22 May 2014, Senegal Feb 10, 2014 - Feb 28, 2014
- Call for applications: Internships to support World Heritage in Africa (deadline 13 Jan 2014) Dec 12, 2013 - Jan 13, 2014
- African World Heritage « Risk Preparedness » workshop Nov 25, 2013 - Dec 6, 2013
- Call for applications for the « Risk Preparedness » workshop (deadline 11 Oct 2013) Sep 18, 2013 - Oct 11, 2013
- Informal meeting of World Heritage-related Category 2 Centres during the 37th session of World Heritage Committee Jun 20, 2013
- Call for applications for World Heritage Risk Preparedness workshop, 6 -18 May 2013 Mar 20, 2013 - Apr 2, 2013
- International Conference "Living with World Heritage in Africa" Sep 26, 2012 - Sep 29, 2012
- World Heritage and Impacts of Developments in the Africa region May 23, 2012 - May 25, 2012
- First steps towards a management plan for Tchitundo-Hulu Rock Art Mar 14, 2011 - Mar 23, 2011
- UNESCO meeting to promote African human origin sites and the World Heritage Convention Feb 8, 2011 - Feb 11, 2011
- Towards an African world heritage fund/foundation Mar 16, 2005 - Mar 17, 2005