Following the 24th session of the World Heritage Committee in December 2000, a project was financed by Flemish authorities to support the development of World Heritage management capacity in the Arab States.
The objectives of the project are:
- To make available updated information relative to the Convention to World Heritage site managers in the Arab region and the general public; and
- To assist in capacity building on World Heritage information management within the Arab States, including data collection, production of maps and monitoring systems, in order to improve the management and conservation of World Heritage sites in the region.
The project will consist of four main activities:
- The creation and development of a website in Arabic on World Heritage in the Arab Region, in cooperation with a regional partner;
- The development, through pilot workshops in the field, of four training modules for the reinforcement of capacity in World Heritage information management;
- The development of a human and scientific resources network (database, list of experts, responsible institutions, bibliography, etc.)
- The organization of a regional workshop in order to present the results of these activities to regional partners, collect their comments and define follow-up action.
Partnerships / Activities (5)
- Historic Urban Landscapes Workshops on the Swahili Coast of Africa
- Mozambique : Rehabilitation Project of the San Sebastian Fortress, Island of Mozambique
- New life for historic cities: The historic urban landscape approach explained
- Report on the Historic Urban Landscape Workshops and Field Activities on the Swahili coast in East Africa 2011-2012
- State of conservation Information System
- 2014 State of conservation reports now available online Monday, May 19, 2014
- New database : State of Conservation of World Heritage properties Friday, November 15, 2013
- Report on the Historic Urban Landscape Workshops and Field Activities on the Swahili coast in East Africa 2011-2012 Saturday, August 17, 2013
- Historic Urban Landscape approach explained Thursday, June 13, 2013
- Satellites and World Heritage sites, partners to understand climate change Monday, September 26, 2011
- Joint efforts for the preservation of World Heritage in Mozambique Thursday, February 12, 2009
- New Publication on Frozen Tombs of the Altai Mountains Tuesday, May 13, 2008