Jaeger-LeCoultre auction benefits Puerto-Princesa Subterranean River National Park
From 12-15 March 2012, the Swiss luxury watch manufacturer Jaeger-LeCoultre, partner of UNESCO’s World Heritage Centre since 2008, organized its fourth online auction for the benefit of World Heritage marine sites. This year, the Manufacture auctioned a new water-resistant watch inspired by the Memovox Deep Sea: Prototype N° 1 of the Jaeger-LeCoultre Deep Sea Vintage Chronograph.
The winning bid of this years' auction was GBP £9,300 (about USD 14,600). The proceeds of the auction are being donated entirely to the marine World Heritage site Puerto-Princesa Subterranean River National Park in the Philippines. The region represents a significant habitat for biodiversity conservation and contains a full “mountain-to-the-sea” ecosystem. The proceeds will contribute to acquiring the equipment and materials that will assist the site with a regular monitoring programme that will help improve evaluation of the state of conservation of its outstanding universal value for which it was inscribed on the World Heritage List in 1999. The material will include the purchase of a zodiac type inflatable boat, GPS and hand held sonar equipment, dive gear including tank and air compressor and specialized dive training for two of the parks staff who will be implementing the monitoring exercises in Puerto-Princesa Subterranean River National Park.
Together with the International Herald Tribune, Jaeger-LeCoultre renewedthe innovative Tides of Time partnership with UNESCO's World Heritage Centre until 2014. The partnership delivers both financial support to the World Heritage Centre's Marine Programme and a multi-year international media campaign through which specific conservation needs of marine World Heritage sites are highlighted
In 2009, 2010 and 2011 respectively, Jaeger-LeCoultre organized three similar auctions of which the proceeds supported the conservation of Tubbataha Reefs Marine Park (Philippines), Sundarbans National Park (India) and Malpelo Fauna and Flora Sanctuary (Columbia). The overall goal of the Tides of Time partnership is to help defend and protect outstanding marine sites that require intervention to ensure future generations can continue to enjoy them.
World Heritage Properties (1)
States Parties (1)
Other news (10)
- Cocos Island National Park receives exceptional donation from Jaeger-LeCoultre Friday, November 29, 2013
- Jaeger-LeCoultre auction benefits Brazilian Atlantic Islands: Fernando de Noronha and Atol das Rocas Reserves Friday, June 14, 2013
- Jaeger-LeCoultre auction proceeds support Malpelo Fauna and Flora Sanctuary Wednesday, May 4, 2011
- Jaeger-LeCoultre affirms commitment to marine conservation at Global Conference on Oceans Thursday, May 6, 2010
- Jaeger-LeCoultre auction proceeds support Sundarbans National Park Thursday, April 22, 2010
- Jaeger-LeCoultre launches its second online auction for the preservation of World Heritage sites Wednesday, March 10, 2010
- Jaeger-LeCoultre and the International Herald Tribune continue to support the World Heritage Marine Programme Friday, June 26, 2009
- Tubbataha Reef Marine Park in the Philippines receives £13,540 from an auction organized by Jaeger-LeCoultre Friday, March 20, 2009
- Jaeger-LeCoultre watch to be auctioned for World Heritage preservation Thursday, February 12, 2009
- Jaeger-LeCoultre and International Herald Tribune provide support to World Heritage Marine Programme Friday, September 12, 2008
Thursday, March 22, 2012