English Français
Help preserve sites now!

Old Bridge Area of the Old City of Mostar

Old Bridge Area of the Old City of Mostar

The historic town of Mostar, spanning a deep valley of the Neretva River, developed in the 15th and 16th centuries as an Ottoman frontier town and during the Austro-Hungarian period in the 19th and 20th centuries. Mostar has long been known for its old Turkish houses and Old Bridge, Stari Most, after which it is named. In the 1990s conflict, however, most of the historic town and the Old Bridge, designed by the renowned architect Sinan, was destroyed. The Old Bridge was recently rebuilt and many of the edifices in the Old Town have been restored or rebuilt with the contribution of an international scientific committee established by UNESCO. The Old Bridge area, with its pre-Ottoman, eastern Ottoman, Mediterranean and western European architectural features, is an outstanding example of a multicultural urban settlement. The reconstructed Old Bridge and Old City of Mostar is a symbol of reconciliation, international co-operation and of the coexistence of diverse cultural, ethnic and religious communities.

Quartier du Vieux pont de la vieille ville de Mostar

La ville historique de Mostar, nichée dans la profonde vallée de Neretva, est une ancienne ville frontière ottomane qui s’est développée aux XVe et XVIe siècles, et durant la période austro-hongroise des XIXe et XXe siècles. Mostar se caractérise par ses maisons turques anciennes et par le vieux pont, Stari Most, qui lui a valu son nom. Lors des conflits des années 1990, la majeure partie de la ville historique et le vieux pont du célèbre architecte Sinan ont cependant été détruits. Le vieux pont a été reconstruit et de nombreux édifices de la vieille ville ont été restaurés ou rebâtis avec l’aide d’un comité scientifique international mis en place par l’UNESCO. Le quartier du vieux pont, avec ses caractéristiques architecturales (pré-ottomanes, ottomanes de l’Est, méditerranéennes et d’Europe occidentale), est un exemple remarquable d’occupation urbaine multiculturelle. Le pont reconstruit et la vieille ville de Mostar sont un symbole de la coopération internationale et de la coexistence de diverses communautés culturelles, ethniques et religieuses.

حيّ الجسر القديم في مدينة موستار القديمة

تمثّل مدينة موستار التاريخية، الجاثمة في وادي نيريتفا العميق، مدينة عثمانية حدودية قديمة شهدت نمواً في القرنين الخامس عشر والسادس عشر، وإبّان أوج الإمبراطورية النمساوية-المجرية في القرنين التاسع عشر والعشرين. وتتميّز موستار ببيوتها التركية القديمة وبجسر ستاري موست القديم الذي أكسبها إسمه. إلاّ أنّ الجزء الأكبر من المدينة التاريخية والجسر القديم الذي صمّمه المهندس الشهير سينان دُمرّ خلال النزاعات التي نشبت في التسعينيات. ثم أعيد بناء الجسر كما جرى ترميم العديد من المباني في المدينة القديمة وإعادة تشييدها بمساعدة لجنة علمية دولية أنشأتها اليونسكو. ويعتبر الجسر العتيق، بخصائصه الهندسية (التي ترقى إلى فترة ما قبل الحقبة العثمانية، والعثمانية الشرقية، والمتوسطية والأوروبية الغربية)، مثالاً لافتاً عن التعدد الثقافي والتنوع السكني. كذلك، يُعدّ الجسر الذي أعيد بناؤه ومدينة موستار القديمة رمزاً للتعاون الدولي وللتعايش بين مجتمعات ثقافية وإثنية ودينية مختلفة.

source: UNESCO/ERI

莫斯塔尔旧城和旧桥地区

莫斯塔尔(Mostar)古镇横跨雷特瓦河深谷,是15和 16世纪作为土耳其边境小镇建立起来的,于19和20世纪的奥匈帝国时期得到了进一步发展。莫斯塔尔一直以来因其古老的土耳其房屋和老桥(Stari Most) 而闻名,并因此桥而得名。然而,在1990年冲突期间,这个古镇的大部分地方和由著名建筑师思南(Sinan)设计的老桥都遭到了摧毁。由于联合国教科文组织成立的国际科学委员会的努力,老桥于近期得到了重建,古镇的许多建筑也得到了修复或重建。老桥地区融合了前土耳其、土耳其东部、地中海和西欧建筑风格,是一个典型的多文化城市住区。重建后的老桥和莫斯塔尔旧城是协调和解、国际合作的象征,也是不同文化、种族和宗教社会之间和睦相处的象征。

source: UNESCO/ERI

Район Старого моста в историческом центре города Мостар

Исторический город Мостар, протянувшийся по глубокой долине реки Неретва, активно развивался в ХV-ХVI вв. как пограничный город Оттоманской империи, и в ХIХ-ХХ вв. как город под австро-венгерским владычеством. Мостар известен старыми турецкими жилыми домами и Старым мостом (босн. – Стары-Мост), который и дал название городу. Во время конфликта 1990-х гг. большая часть исторического города и Старый мост, спроектированный знаменитым архитектором Синаном, были разрушены. Мост и многие другие строения в Старом городе были недавно воссозданы или восстановлены с помощью международного научного комитета, созданного ЮНЕСКО. Архитектурный облик района Старого моста начал складываться еще до прихода турок, позже испытал турецкое, средиземноморское и западноевропейское влияние, и теперь представляет собой выдающийся образец городского поселения, сформировавшегося под воздействием различных культур. Реконструированный Старый мост и Старый город в Мостаре – это символ примирения, международного сотрудничества и сосуществования сообществ, различающихся по своей культуре, национальной принадлежности и вероисповеданию.

source: UNESCO/ERI

Barrio del Puente Viejo en el centro histórico de Mostar

La histórica ciudad de Mostar, encaramada en lo alto del valle del río Neretva, es una antigua ciudad fronteriza otomana que se desarrolló en los siglos XV y XVI. Entre los siglos XIX y XX perteneció al Imperio Austrohúngaro. Mostar es famosa por sus antiguas casas turcas y por el “Stari Most” (Puente Viejo), del que recibe su nombre. La mayor parte del centro histórico de la ciudad, así como el puente diseñado por el famoso arquitecto Sinan, fueron destruidos durante el conflicto ocurrido en el decenio de1990. El puente ha sido reconstruido recientemente y muchos edificios de la parte antigua de la ciudad se han reedificado o restaurado con ayuda de un comité científico internacional establecido por la UNESCO. El barrio del Puente Viejo es un ejemplo notable de asentamiento urbano multicultural, como lo prueban sus variadas edificaciones preotomanas, otomano-orientales, mediterráneas y occidentales. El puente reconstruido y el centro histórico de Mostar son símbolos de la cooperación internacional y de la coexistencia de distintas comunidades culturales, étnicas y religiosas.

source: UNESCO/ERI

モスタル旧市街の古橋地区

source: NFUAJ

Oude brug van de historische stad Mostar

De historische binnenstad van Mostar ontstond in de 15e en 16e eeuw als een Ottomaanse grensstad en ontwikkelde zich verder tijdens de Oostenrijks-Hongaarse periode in de 19e en 20e eeuw. Mostar ligt in een diepe vallei van de rivier Neretva en is bekend om zijn oude Turkse huizen en de oude brug Stari Most, waarnaar het is vernoemd. In de jaren 1990 werd het grootste deel van de historische stad en de oude brug vernietigd. De gereconstrueerde oude brug en oude stad van Mostar zijn een symbool van verzoening, internationale samenwerking en van het naast elkaar bestaan van verschillende culturele, etnische en religieuze gemeenschappen.

Source: unesco.nl

  • English
  • French
  • Arabic
  • Chinese
  • Russian
  • Spanish
  • Japanese
  • Dutch
Old Bridge Area of the Old City of Mostar © Silvan Rehfeld
Justification for Inscription

Criterion (vi): With the “renaissance” of the Old Bridge and its surroundings, the symbolic power and meaning of the City of Mostar - as an exceptional and universal symbol of coexistence of communities from diverse cultural, ethnic and religious backgrounds - has been reinforced and strengthened, underlining the unlimited efforts of human solidarity for peace and powerful co-operation in the face of overwhelming catastrophes.

Long Description

The Old Bridge area of the Old City of Mostar, with its exceptional multicultural (pre-Ottoman, eastern Ottoman, Mediterranean and western European) architectural features, and satisfactory interrelationship with the landscape, is an outstanding example of a multicultural urban settlement. The qualities of the site's construction, after the extremely ravaging war damage and the subsequent works of renewal, have been confirmed by detailed scientific investigations. These have provided proof of exceptionally high technical refinement in the skill and quality of the ancient constructions, particularly of the Old Bridge. Of special significance is the Radoboija stream, which enters the Neretva on its right bank. This provided a source of water for the growing settlement, and from it springs a number of small canals used for irrigation and for driving the wheels of water-mills.

There has been human settlement on the Neretva between the Hum Hill and the Velez Mountain since prehistory, as witnessed by discoveries of fortified enceintes and cemeteries. Evidence of Roman occupation comes from beneath the present town.

Little is known of Mostar in the medieval period, although the Christian basilicas of late antiquity continued in use. The name of Mostar is first mentioned in a document of 1474, taking its name from the bridge-keepers (mostari ); this refers to the existence of a wooden bridge from the market town on the left bank of the river which was used by soldiers, traders, and other travellers. At this time it was the seat of a kadiluk (district with a regional judge). Because it was on the trade route between the Adriatic and the mineral-rich regions of central Bosnia, the settlement spread to the right bank of the river. It became the leading town in the Sanjak of Herzegovina and, with the arrival of the Ottoman Turks from the east, the centre of Turkish rule.

The town was fortified between 1520 and 1566, and the bridge was rebuilt in stone. The second half of the 16th century and the early decades of the 17th century were the most important period in the development of Mostar. Religious and public buildings were constructed, concentrated on the left bank of the river, in a religious complex. At the same time many private and commercial buildings, organized in distinct quarters, known as mahalas (residential) and the bazaar, were erected.

Of the thirteen original mosques dating from the 16th and 17th centuries, seven have been destroyed during the 20th century for ideological reasons or by bombardment. One of the two 19th-century Orthodox churches has also disappeared, and the early 20th-century synagogue, after undergoing severe damage in the Second World War, has been converted for use as a theatre. Several Ottoman inns also survive, along with other buildings from this period of Mostar's history, such as fountains and schools.

The administrative buildings are all from the Austro-Hungarian period and have neoclassical and Secessionist features. A number of surviving late Ottoman houses demonstrate the component features of this form of domestic architecture - hall, upper storey for residential use, paved courtyard, and verandah on one or two storeys. The later 19th-century residential houses are all in neoclassical style.

Some early trading and craft buildings are still existent, notably some low shops in wood or stone, stone storehouses, and a group of former tanneries round an open courtyard. Once again, the 19th-century commercial buildings are predominantly neoclassical. A number of elements of the early fortifications are visible. The Hercegusa Tower dates from the medieval period, whereas the Ottoman defences are represented by the Halebinovka and Tara Towers, the watchtowers over the ends of the Old Bridge, and a stretch of the ramparts.

Source: UNESCO/CLT/WHC
Historical Description

There has been human settlement on the Neretva between the Hum Hill and the Velez mountain since prehistory, as witnessed by discoveries of fortified enceintes and cemeteries. Evidence of Roman occupation comes from beneath the present town.

Little is known of Mostar in the medieval period, though the Christian basilicas of late antiquity continued in use. The name of Mostar is first mentioned in a document of 1474, taking its name from the bridge-keepers (mostari) this refers to the existence of a wooden bridge from the market town on the left bank of the river which was used by soldiers, traders, and other travelers. At this time it was the seat of a kadiluk (district with a regional judge). Because it was on the trade route between the Adriatic and the mineral-rich regions of central Bosnia, the settlement spread to the right bank of the river. It became the leading town in the Sanjak of Herzegovina and, with the arrival of the Ottoman Turks from the east, the centre of Turkish rule.

The town was fortified between 1520 and 1566 and the bridge was rebuilt in stone. The second half of the 16th century and the early decades of the 17th century were the most important period in the development of Mostar. Religious and public buildings were constructed, such as mosques, a madrasah (Islamic school), and a hammam (public bath); these were concentrated on the left bank of the river, in a religious complex (kullia). At the same time many private and commercial buildings, organized in distinct quarters, known as mahalas (residential) and the bazaar, were erected.

Bosnia-Herzegovina was first occupied (1878) and then annexed (1908) by the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and it was in this period that a number of administrative, military, cultural, and Christian religious buildings were established. These were mainly on the right bank of the river, where a new quarter was developed according to a strict ‘Rondo' plan. This provides a strong contrast with the left bank where there was a more organic growth on the steeper slopes, with winding narrow streets and public open spaces for trading (pazar), recreation (mejdan), and prayer (musallah). The town was also connected at this time by rail and new roads to Sarajevo and the Adriatic.

Between 1992 and 1995 the town was badly damaged during the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina and much of the urban centre was left in ruins and the Old Bridge destroyed. Since 1998 there have been major restoration projects carried out in the centre of the Old Town, most notably the rebuilding of the Old Bridge.

Source: Advisory Body Evaluation