English Français
Help preserve sites now!

Kalwaria Zebrzydowska: the Mannerist Architectural and Park Landscape Complex and Pilgrimage Park

Kalwaria Zebrzydowska: the Mannerist Architectural and Park Landscape Complex and Pilgrimage Park

Kalwaria Zebrzydowska is a breathtaking cultural landscape of great spiritual significance. Its natural setting – in which a series of symbolic places of worship relating to the Passion of Jesus Christ and the life of the Virgin Mary was laid out at the beginning of the 17th century – has remained virtually unchanged. It is still today a place of pilgrimage.

Kalwaria Zebrzydowska : ensemble architectural maniériste et paysager et parc de pèlerinage

Kalwaria Zebrzydowska est un paysage culturel d'une grande beauté et d'une grande importance spirituelle. Son cadre naturel, dans lequel s'inscrivent des lieux symboliques de dévotion relatifs à la Passion de Jésus-Christ et à la vie de la Vierge Marie, est resté quasi inchangé depuis le XVIIe siècle. C'est encore aujourd'hui un lieu de pèlerinage.

كالفاريا زيبرزيدوفسكا : مجموعة هندسية متكلّفة ومقلّدة للطبيعة ومنتزه للحجّ

يُعتبر كالفاريا زيبرزيدوفسكا منظراً طبيعيًّا ثقافيًّا في غاية الجمال ويتمتّع بأهميّة روحيّة كبيرة جدًا. أما اطاره الطبيعي الذي يضمّ أماكن العبادة الرمزية المتعلّقة بآلام المسيح وحياة العذراء مريم، فحافظ على هيئته كما هي تقريبًا منذ القرن السابع عشر. وهو حتى اليوم يُعتبر أحد أماكن الحجّ.

source: UNESCO/ERI

卡瓦利泽布日多夫斯津:自成一家的建筑景观朝圣园

卡瓦利泽布日多夫斯津是一处将美丽风景和宗教内涵融于一身的文化景观。它的自然布景几乎完美地保留下来,其中包括一系列建于17世纪初具有象征意义的宫殿,它们反映了耶酥受难以及圣母玛丽亚的生平。至今它仍然是人们朝圣礼拜的场所。

source: UNESCO/ERI

Кальвария-Зебжидовска: монастырский архитектурно-парковый комплекс в стиле маньеризма

Кальвария-Зебжидовска – это выдающийся культурный ландшафт большого духовного значения. Природная обстановка, в которой в начале XVII в. был создан комплекс молитвенных мест, символизирующих отдельные события Страстей Господних и Жития Богоматери, осталась практически неизменной. Это место до сих пор привлекает паломников.

source: UNESCO/ERI

Kalwaria Zebrzydowska: conjunto arquitectónico manierista y paisajístico y lugar de peregrinación

Kalwaria Zebrzydowska es un paisaje cultural de gran belleza y trascendencia espiritual. Su entorno natural, en el que están emplazados diversos santuarios y lugares simbólicos creados en el siglo XVII para recordar la pasión de Cristo y la vida de la Virgen María, ha permanecido prácticamente intacto. Hoy en día sigue siendo un lugar de peregrinación.

source: UNESCO/ERI

カルヴァリア・ゼブジトフスカ:マニエリスム様式の建築と公園の景観複合体と巡礼公園

source: NFUAJ

Kalwaria Zebrzydowska: maniëristisch architectuur- en parkcomplex en bedevaartspark

Kalwaria Zebrzydowska is een cultuurlandschap van grote spirituele betekenis. In deze regio werden in het begin van de 17e eeuw enkele symbolische plaatsen van aanbidding aangelegd, gericht op het lijden van Jezus Christus en het leven van de maagd Maria. Het landschap van Jeruzalem ten tijde van Jezus werd als model gebruikt voor het complex, waaronder de Calvarieberg (Golgotha, de plaats van Jezus' kruisiging). Veel voorname koninklijke en adellijke bezoekers en talloze pelgrims hebben het bedevaartspark bezocht, mede vanwege de religieuze voorstellingen en rituelen die er werden opgevoerd. Kalwaria Zebrzydowska is vandaag de dag nog steeds een bedevaartsoord.

Source: unesco.nl

  • English
  • French
  • Arabic
  • Chinese
  • Russian
  • Spanish
  • Japanese
  • Dutch
Kalwaria Zebrzydowska: the Mannerist Architectural and Park Landscape Complex and Pilgrimage Park © Ludwig schneider
Justification for Inscription

Criterion (ii): Kalwaria Zebrzydowska is an exceptional cultural monument in which the natural landscape was used as the setting for a symbolic representation in the form of chapels and avenues of the events of the Passion of Christ. The result is a cultural landscape of great beauty and spiritual quality in which natural and man-made elements combine in a harmonious manner.

Criterion (iv): The Counter Reformation in the late 16th century led to a flowering in the creation of Calvaries in Europe. Kalwaria Zebrzydowska is an outstanding example of this type of large-scale landscape design, which incorporates natural beauty with spiritual objectives and the principles of Baroque park design.

Historical Description

Work on building the Calvary was begun in 1600 by Mikolaj Zebrzydowski, the Voyevode of Cracow, who built the Chapel of the Crucifixion on the slopes of Żar Mountain. Together with a small hermitage, this was used by him for personal meditation.

However, Zebrzydowski was persuaded by the Bernardine (Franciscan) monks Tomasz Bucki and Ludwig Boguski to enlarge his original concept to cover an extensive landscape complex with many chapels, linked in form and theme to those in Jerusalem. It was conceived as being for the use not only of the local inhabitants but also of believers from elsewhere in Poland and in neighbouring countries.

The layout was the work of the distinguished mathematician, astronomer, and surveyor Feliks Żebrowski. He based it on the landscape of Jerusalem at the time of Christ, using a system of measurement that he developed to enable the urban landscape of Jerusalem to be reproduced symbolically on the natural landscape. This makes use of the natural topography, the Lackarańska Mountain representing the Mount of Olives and the Żar Mountain Golgotha, for example.

The sites chosen for the chapels that represented the stages in the taking of Christ and the Stations of the Cross were linked by tracks cut through the natural woodland and were marked first by a simple cross. These were replaced by chapels, nearly all of which were built between 1605 and 1632. The architect of the chapels was a Belgian, Paul Baudarth, and the influence of the Mannerist architecture of The Netherlands is very marked. In 1632 a wall was built (now no longer extant) which symbolized the urban limits of the Holy City, and also a system of routes that linked ten chapels associated with the life of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Only four further chapels were added - those dedicated to the Third Fall of Christ (1754), the Weeping Women (1782), St John Nepomucen (1824), and the Angel (1836). The original Bridge of the Angels was replaced by a new structure in 1907.

The Church of the Our Lady of the Angels and the Bernardine monastery were designed by the Italian architect Giovanni Maria Bernardoni. However, he did not complete the project, which was finished by Baudarth in 1609. The monastery was considerably enlarged in 1654-56, and took on the appearance of a Baroque castle.. A pilgrim chapel in developed Baroque style was added to the church in 1658- 67, to house a miraculous picture of the Virgin. The church achieved its present form at the end of the 17th century, whilst the monastery was enlarged once again at the beginning of the 19th century.

When the monastery was founded in 1617 the inhabitants of the town of Kalwaria Zebrzydowska that had sprung up were allowed to rent part of its lands within the Calvary park. They began to clear the woodland for pastures, and in the mid-18th century they were allowed to build houses on their plots. A process of reforestation began at the beginning of the 19th century.

At the beginning of the 18th century the Czartoryski family, the owners of the park, built a palatial residence near the pilgrim church, but this was largely destroyed in the 19th century. At the end of World War II the plot on which the palace had stood, together with some surviving outbuildings, passed into the ownership of the state, which used it for the construction of a theological college.

Historical archives show that Kalwaria Zebrzydowska had many distinguished royal and noble visitors as well as countless pious pilgrims. Many were attracted by religious performances and ritual that were staged there. As early as 1613 Mikolaj Zebrzydowski had received permission to found a religious fraternity to organize religious ceremonies of this kind. Local people joined the Bernardine monks at Easter to take part in dramatic enactments of Christ's Passion. These religious performances were discouraged during the Austrian occupation of this region, but they were revived after 1947. In addition to the Passion procession at Easter, there is a similar event at the Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in August.

Source: Advisory Body Evaluation
Activities (1)