English Français
Help preserve sites now!

Historic Centre of Telč

Historic Centre of Telč

The houses in Telc, which stands on a hilltop, were originally built of wood. After a fire in the late 14th century, the town was rebuilt in stone, surrounded by walls and further strengthened by a network of artificial ponds. The town's Gothic castle was reconstructed in High Gothic style in the late 15th century.

Centre historique de Telč

La ville est située sur une colline et ses maisons étaient à l'origine construites en bois. Après un incendie à la fin du XIVe siècle, elle a été reconstruite en pierre, entourée de murailles et renforcée par un réseau de bassins. Le château gothique de la ville a été reconstruit dans le style du premier art gothique à la fin du XVe siècle.

وسط تيلتش

تقبع هذه المدينة على هضبة، وكانت منازلها مصنوعة أساساً من الخشب قبل أن تُستعمل الحجارة في اعادة بنائها إثر اندلاع حريق التهمها في نهاية القرن الرابع عشر. وقد أعيد تشييد قصرها القوطي حسب الفن القوطي الأول في نهاية القرن الخامس عشر.

source: UNESCO/ERI

泰尔奇历史中心

泰尔奇的建筑坐落于小山顶上,房屋最初为木结构。自14世纪末的一场大火之后,小镇以石头为材料进行了重建。整座城池有城墙环绕,另外还有人工河网增加了其防卫功能。城镇的哥特式城堡重建于15世纪晚期,采用了新哥特式风格。

source: UNESCO/ERI

Исторический центр города Тельч

Дома Тельча, расположенного на возвышении, изначально были построены из дерева. После пожара в конце XIV в. город был отстроен в камне, окружен стенами и в дальнейшем защищен цепью прудов. Готический замок города был реконструирован в стиле высокой готики в конце XV в.

source: UNESCO/ERI

Centro histórico de Telč

Los edificios de esta ciudad, situada en lo alto de una colina, fueron construidos en madera en un principio. Después de un incendio sobrevenido a finales del siglo XIV, fue reconstruida en piedra y rodeada de murallas, reforzándose sus defensas con una red de lagunas artificiales. El castillo se reedificó a finales del siglo XV en el estilo del Alto Gótico.

source: UNESCO/ERI

テルチ歴史地区

source: NFUAJ

Historisch centrum van Telč

Telč staat op een heuveltop en de huizen werden oorspronkelijk gebouwd van hout. Na een brand in de late 14e eeuw werd de stad herbouwd in steen, omgeven door muren en verder versterkt door een netwerk van kunstmatige vijvers. In de late 15e eeuw werd de gotische burcht van de stad gereconstrueerd in de gotische stijl. De architectuur van Telč is artistiek en bijzonder, vooral de markt en het kasteel uit de Renaissancetijd. De driehoekige markt is mooi en harmonieus en omgeven door intact en goed bewaard gebleven Renaissance gebouwen met een prachtige verscheidenheid aan gevels.

Source: unesco.nl

  • English
  • French
  • Arabic
  • Chinese
  • Russian
  • Spanish
  • Japanese
  • Dutch
Historic Centre of Telč © OUR PLACE
Long Description

The later Middle Ages in central Europe saw the 'plantation' of planned settlements in areas of virgin forest for reasons of political control and economic expansion, and Telč is the best-preserved surviving example. It preserves its original layout and the castle-settlement relationship very clearly.

Telč is also an architectural and artistic ensemble of outstanding quality. The quality of the architecture is high, particularly the Renaissance market place and chateau. Its triangular market place possesses great beauty and harmony as well as great cultural importance, surrounded as it is by intact and well-preserved Renaissance buildings with a dazzling variety of facades.

The town is located near the south-western border between Moravia and Bohemia, in a region that was thickly forested until the 13th century. The origins of the settlement are unclear: there was an early medieval settlement at Stare Město to the south-east of the present town, but there is no mention of Telč in documentary records before 1333-35, when reference is made to the existence there of an important castle (and presumably also a church and settlement). The town itself was probably founded in the mid-14th century. It developed on a hilltop round a market square in the form of an elongated triangle. The town was surrounded by stone walls, further strengthened by a network of ponds. Until a fire in 1386 most of the houses were wooden, but they were reconstructed in stone. The parish church of St Jacob, built 1360-72, also had to be rebuilt. The Gothic castle was reconstructed in High Gothic style in the later 15th century. The second half of the 16th century was a period of great prosperity under Zacharias of Hradec, who began work on the Renaissance castle. He also rebuilt the market place in the same style following another devastating fire. The resulting town is an outstanding example of Renaissance town planning and architecture. Baroque elements were introduced by the Jesuits, who built a college (1651-65) and the Church of the Name of Jesus (1666-67). At the same time Baroque gables were added to the facades of some of the houses in the marketplace; Rococo and classical elements also followed in later remodelling. The Industrial Revolution of the early 19th century saw considerable cultural awakening in the region and increased prosperity. Nevertheless, the town of Telč retained its traditional character.

The town centre is the Renaissance chateau, which retains substantial evidence of its Gothic precursor. The Golden Hall to the north of the castle complex is notable for its fine gilded ceiling of 1561 which shows considerable Italian influence. The latest phase of reconstruction was under the charge of Baldassar Maggi of Arogno, and dates to the late 16th century. The houses in the market place, although embellished with facades from various periods, are basically Renaissance and conform to a standard plan. The Parish Church of St Jacob has a twin-aisled layout dating from the early 14th century: a Renaissance choir was added in 1638 and the Gothic tower was crowned with a Baroque dome in 1687. Telč was not affected by the mania for over-restoration of the 19th century and so both the individual buildings and the townscape retain authenticity in materials and design.

The outstanding nature of Telč in terms of the quality and authenticity of its cultural elements, the tangible evidence of its origins and evolution represented by its layout, and its dramatic setting is unquestionable.

Source: UNESCO/CLT/WHC
Historical Description

The town of Telt, located near the south-western border between Moravia and Bohemia, is in a region that was thickly forested until the 13th century. The origins of the settlement are unclear: there was an early medieval settlement at Star/e M&to to the SE of the present town, but there is no mention of Tel8 in documentary records before 1333-5, when reference is made to the existence there of an important castle
(and presumabl y also a church and settlement). The town itself was probably founded in the mid 14th century.

It developed on a hilltop, round a market square in the form of an elongated triangle. The town was surrounded by stone walls, further strengthened by a network of ponds. Until a fire in 1386 most of the
houses were wooden, but they were reconstructed in stone. The parish church of St Jacob, built in 1360-72, also had to be rebuilt. The Gothic castle was reconstructed in High Gothic style in the later 15th century.

The second half of the 16th century was a period of great prosperity under Zacharias of Hradec, who began work on the Renaissance castle. He also rebuilt the market place in the same style following another
devastating fire. The resulting town is an outstanding example of Renaissance town planning and architecture. 

Baroque elements were introduced by the Jesuits, who built a college (1651-65) and the Church of the Name of Jesus (1666-67). At the same time Baroque gables were added to the facades of some of the houses in the market place; Rococo and classical elements also followed in later remodellings.

The Industrial Revolution of the early 19th century saw considerable cultural awakening in the region and increased prosperity. Nevertheless, the town of Tel: retained its traditional character.

The town covers 9 ha and contains 85 designated historical monuments. Its centre is the Renaissance chateau, which retains substantial evidence of its Gothic precursor. The Golden Hall to the north of the castle complex is notable for its fine gilded ceiling of 1561. which shows considerable Italian influence. The latest phase of reconstruction was under the charge of Baldassar Maggi of Arogno, and dates to the late 16th century.

The houses in the market place, although embellished with facades from various periods, are basically Renaissance and conform to a standard plan. The parish Church of St Jacob has a twin-a&led layout dating from the early 14th century: a Renaissance choir was added in 1638 and the Gothic tower was crowned with a Baroque dome in 1687. 

Source: Advisory Body Evaluation