jump to the content

Historic Centre of Avignon: Papal Palace, Episcopal Ensemble and Avignon Bridge

Historic Centre of Avignon: Papal Palace, Episcopal Ensemble and Avignon Bridge

In the 14th century, this city in the South of France was the seat of the papacy. The Palais des Papes, an austere-looking fortress lavishly decorated by Simone Martini and Matteo Giovanetti, dominates the city, the surrounding ramparts and the remains of a 12th-century bridge over the Rhone. Beneath this outstanding example of Gothic architecture, the Petit Palais and the Romanesque Cathedral of Notre-Dame-des-Doms complete an exceptional group of monuments that testify to the leading role played by Avignon in 14th-century Christian Europe.

Centre historique d’Avignon : Palais des papes, ensemble épiscopal et Pont d’Avignon

Cette ville du midi de la France fut le siège de la papauté au XIVe siècle. Le palais des Papes, forteresse d'apparence austère somptueusement décorée à l'intérieur par Simone Martini et Matteo Giovanetti, domine la cité, sa ceinture de remparts et les vestiges d'un pont du XIIe siècle sur le Rhône. Au pied de ce remarquable exemple d'architecture gothique, le Petit Palais et la cathédrale romane Notre-Dame-des-Doms achèvent de former un exceptionnel ensemble monumental qui témoigne du rôle éminent joué par Avignon dans l'Europe chrétienne au XIVe siècle.

وسط أفينيون التاريخي: قصر الباباوات، مجموعة أسقفية، وجسر أفينيون

كانت هذه المدينة الواقعة جنوب فرنسا مركز البابوية في القرن الرابع عشر. وسيطر قصر الباباوات، وهو كناية عن قلعة ذات شكل بسيط، عمل على تزيينها من الداخل سيمون مارتيني وماتيو جيوفانيتي، على المدينة ونطاق أسوارها وآثار جسر يعود للقرن الثاني عشر على نهر الرون. وعلى قدم هذا المثال الرائع للهندسة القوطية، شكّل القصر الصغير والكاتدرائية منذ البداية مجموعةً تذكارية رائعة تدلّ على الدور البارز الذي لعبته أفينيون في أوروبا المسيحية في القرن الرابع عشر.

source: UNESCO/ERI

阿维尼翁历史中心:教皇宫、主教圣堂和阿维尼翁桥

这座位于法国南部的城市是14世纪罗马教皇的居所。教皇宫其实就是一个装饰豪华却外表朴素的城堡,由西蒙·马蒂尼和马泰奥·焦瓦内蒂(Simone Martini and Matteo Giovanetti)装修而成,占据了这座城市绝大部分面积,周围是坚固的城墙和12世纪隆河桥的遗址。在卓越的哥特式建筑之下,小宫殿和圣母院的罗马式主教堂古迹实属罕见,证明了阿维尼翁在14世纪基督化欧洲所发挥的领导作用。

source: UNESCO/ERI

Исторический центр города Авиньон

В XIV в. этот город на юге Франции был резиденцией пап. Папский дворец – мрачно выглядящая крепость, щедро украшенная художниками Симоне Мартини и Маттео Джованетти, – доминирует над городом, его укреплениями и остатками моста XII в. через реку Рона. Несколько ниже дворца, шедевра готической архитектуры, расположены Малый дворец и романский кафедральный собор Нотр-Дам-де-Дом, завершая формирование выдающегося ансамбля памятников, свидетельствующих о ведущей роли Авиньона в христианской Европе XIV в.

source: UNESCO/ERI

Centro histórico de Aviñón: palacio de los papas, conjunto episcopal y puente de Aviñón

Situada en el sureste de Francia, la ciudad de Aviñón fue sede de los papas en el siglo XIV. El palacio de éstos –una fortaleza de aspecto austero suntuosamente decorada en su interior por Simone Martini y Matteo Giovanetti– domina la ciudad, las murallas y los vestigios de un puente del siglo XII sobre el río Ródano. Junto con el Pequeño Palacio y la catedral románica de Notre-Dame-des-Doms que se alzan a sus pies, la residencia papal, obra notable de la arquitectura gótica, forma un extraordinario conjunto monumental que atestigua el importante papel desempeñado por Aviñón en la Europa cristiana del siglo XIV.

source: UNESCO/ERI

アヴィニョン歴史地区:法王庁宮殿、司教関連建造物群及びアヴィニョン橋

source: NFUAJ

Historisch centrum van Avignon: pauselijk paleis, bisschoppelijk complex en brug van Avignon

Avignon was in de 14e eeuw de zetel van het pausdom. In deze stad in het zuiden van Frankrijk ligt het pauselijk paleis, een sober ogend fort dat overdadig versierd is door Simone Martini en Matteo Giovanetti. Het gebouw domineert de stad, de omliggende wallen en de overblijfselen van een 12e-eeuwse brug over de Rhône. Aan de voet van dit mooie voorbeeld van gotische bouwkunst, liggen het Petit Palais en de romaanse kathedraal van Notre-Dame-des Doms. Zij completeren een uitzonderlijke groep monumenten die getuigen van de leidende rol van Avignon in het 14e-eeuwse christelijke Europa.

Source: unesco.nl

  • English
  • French
  • Arabic
  • Chinese
  • Russian
  • Spanish
  • Japanese
  • Dutch
Historical Description

In 1309 the Frenchman Bertrand de Got, who had been elected and crowned Supreme Pontiff in 1305, refused to go to Rome, choosing instead to install himself temporarily in the Dominican Convent at Avignon. Seven Popes were to reign there until the election of Martin v in 1417 and the return of the seat of the Papacy to Rome.

Clement's successor, John XXII (1316-34), moved to the former bishop's palace, which ne converted into a Papal Palace, on the Rocher des Doms, alongside the cathedral. Benedict XII (1334-42) gradually demolished this building and replaced it with what is now known as the Old Palace, covering the northern part of the present monument, a structure that took the master-builder Pierre Poisson eighteen years to complete. It was Benedict's successor, Clement VI (1342-52), who was to complete the ensemble, under the direction of Jean de Louvres, who brought with him from the Ile-de-France the high Gothic style than prevailing there. Clement entrusted the interior decoration to the famous Italian Painter Matteo Giovannetti from Viterbo, who worked on the Chapels of St John and St Martial while waiting for the New Palace to be completed. He also supervised the work of French and Italian Painters on other halls and rooms within the palace.

Avignon had been sold to Clement VI in 1348 by Queen Joan of Naples and Sicily, and it was to remain the residence of the Italian Papal legates for nearly four hundred years after the Papacy had returned to Rome, until they were expelled at the time of the Revolution, when the people of Avignon, which had benefited markedly from its long association with the Papacy, opted to join France. In 1793 the Convention decided to demolish this "Bastille du Midi," but the massive building defied their efforts. It passed to the ownership of the town in 1810,and eight years later was put at the disposal of the Minister of war, Who used it as a barracks until 1906, when it was returned to the town.

Source: Advisory Body Evaluation