Call for Papers:"World Heritage and Cultural Diversity - Challenges for University Education"
The UNESCO Chair in Heritage Studies at the Brandenburg University of Technology is pleased to host an International Conference on "World Heritage and Cultural Diversity - Challenges for University Education". The event is being co-organized by the German Commission for UNESCO, and the conference patrons are the UNESCO Word Heritage Centre and the Federal Ministry for Foreign Affairs Germany.
The conference aims to discuss in which way the different aspects of cultural diversity can be protected by international legal instruments and how such instruments may achieve this.
Another aim is to connect a broad understanding of diversity with existing and future World Heritage sites.
Four panels will discuss the topics outlined below:
- How can the diversity of World Heritage be strengthened and how can new dimensions be developed for defining Outstanding Universal Value?
- To what extent are new instruments like the UN's Millennium Declaration and the 2007 Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples taken into account in actual practice?
- How can university education be enriched by World Heritage and its diversity?
Call for Papers
Experts in the field of World Heritage are invited to submit an English-language presentation and a paper on one topic to be discussed within the following panels:
- Interdependencies of Cultural and Religious Diversity
- Economic and Technological Dynamics through Migration
- Politics and (In)Justice in Relation to World Heritage
- Cultural Landscapes
An abstract of the presentation (max. 500 words) is expected to reach the conference office at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 1 June 2009.
For further information and registration please refer to the conference website below.