Decision : 27 COM 7A.20
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Noting that, despite the commitment and support of the Government, progress has been very slow in addressing the threats that had justified the inscription of the property on the List of World Heritage in Danger,;
2. Urges the Government of Yemen to take immediate measures towards the enforcement of the ban on new constructions within the Old City decided in 2001, and the strengthening of the local bodies in charge of the conservation of the property, including the local General Organization for the Preservation of the Historic Cities of Yemen (GOPHCY) Unit, possibly through the project for the establishment of a Heritage House in Zabid;
3. Recommends to the State Party to adopt and start implementing, on a temporary basis, the Preliminary Urban Conservation Plan prepared by the World Heritage Centre in December 2002, together with its regulations;
4. Requests the State Party and the World Heritage Centre to continue working in close co-operation and in consultation with the local population and all other concerned actors and stakeholders, to finalize the Urban Conservation Plan and co-ordinate the efforts for the rehabilitation of the property;
5. Requests the State Party to provide to the World Heritage Centre by 1 February 2004 a report on the progress made on the above recommendations for examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 28th session in 2004;
6. Decides to retain the property on the List of World Heritage in Danger.