The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-12/36.COM/7B.Add,
2. Recalling Decision 07 COM VIII adopted at its 7th session (Florence, 1983),
3. Notes with concern the request for renewal of the prospection license for liquid or gaseous hydrocarbons by the Melrose Mediterranean Limited and Noble Energie France companies, given that this prospection stage could be extended by an exploratory drilling activity during the second half of 2013 in the event of satisfactory results;
4. Considers that the exploratory drillings in this zone could have major negative, irreversible and non-compensatory impacts on the Outstanding Universal Value of the property, and requests the State Party to conduct an environmental impact assessment study in accordance with the highest international standards and prior to authorizing any exploratory drilling, and which should include an in-depth examination of the potential impact of exploration projects on the Outstanding Universal Value of the property, and to submit it to the World Heritage Centre;
5. Urgently requests the State Party not to grant a license to conduct hydrocarbon drilling exploration likely to affect the property and its environment, as well as the adjacent protected areas, until the requested above-mentioned study has been completed and evaluated by the World Heritage Centre and IUCN;
6. Also notes the major increase in tourism pressure on the property since its inscription and urges the State Party to implement the recommendations of the Committee of Ministers of the European Council to cope with this pressure and to define a management plan for the entire property;
7. Also requests the State Party to submit to the World Heritage Centre by 1 February 2013, a detailed report on the state of conservation of the property, including the potential impacts on the property of hydrocarbon exploration and progress in the definition of a management plan and the implementation of the recommendations of the Committee of Ministers of the European Council.