Pitons Management Area (Saint Lucia) (N 1161)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-08/32.COM/7B.Add,
2. Recalling Decisions 28 COM 14B.11, and 31 COM 7B.42, adopted at its 28th (Suzhou, 2004) and 31st (Christchurch, 2007) sessions respectively,
3. Notes with concern that development continues to affect the integrity of the property, which if not urgently addressed is likely to lead to significant loss of the Outstanding Universal Value of the property;
4. Welcomes the preparation of an integrated development strategy for the property and requests the State Party to take the necessary steps to adopt its recommendations as the foundation of a binding planning framework for the property under the laws of St. Lucia, noting the need for the State Party to reflect further on its recommendations in order to ensure that the anticipated levels of development that might result from this strategy do not prejudice the Outstanding Universal Value of the property;
5. Encourages the State Party to develop activities with local partners, including UNDP and IUCN, for a programme to strengthen the management of the property, including in relation to the capacity of the management agencies and the communities within and adjacent to the property to protect, manage and benefit from the World Heritage status;
6. Also requests the State Party to submit to the World Heritage Centre, by 1 February 2009, a full State Party report on the state of conservation of the property and on the steps taken to implement the recommendations above, including detailed baseline information on current land use within the property and a description of the development application and review process, for examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 33rd session in 2009.